More bad news on the "bump stock" ban attempt

Latest word I've heard is, the ATF is going to come out with a ruling on Bump Stocks and Triggers around the 26th. This was leaked prior to the latest incident in Florida. When they talk about adding triggers to the ruling, not sure how deep they will go with that.
I agree. I don't give a crap about the bump stocks...They're at-best a novelty item with no real functional value. But it's when you set the precedent of banning plastic accessories and especially aftermarket triggers that has me ****ed off. That's a very slippery slope.

I own AR's and I have no interest in a bump stock. I did enough full auto in the army on their dime, and the last I owned anything like that myself was some cheap crank for 22's back in the 90's. Even that was expensive and inaccurate enough to make me lose interest quick.

But my concern is that once we start tossing passengers out of the sleigh to appease the wolves, 2 things will happen - the wolves will become increasingly more emboldened, and we will soon run out of friends in the sleigh.

This is not just a ban on bumpfire stocks. Say goodbye to that drop-in trigger for your Rem. 700 also.

This is not just a ban on bumpfire stocks. Say goodbye to that drop-in trigger for your Rem. 700 also.
Obama tried to do that with the gunsmithing EO a few years back. Slight mods would have made you liable for the ITAR restrictions and an expensive manufacturers license.

Last edited:
What? How so?
IF, and I mean a BIG "IF", they do it, they'll probably just ban rate-increasing devices on semi-automatic rifles, from being able to be purchased after a set date, like they did with the Hughes Amendment and machineguns in 1986. Which was also another piece of illegal legislation the NRA pushed on the American people...Same with FOPA, GCA of 68, NFA of 34, Brady Bill, etc...

The NRA and a tyrannical government is to blame for all of our freedoms taken away since 1934... I guess they all forgot about (most-likely never heard of) the "Dick Act", better known as the Militia Act of 1903.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_Act_of_1903

And most importably, I guess they all just conveniently forgot about the words "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED" written in iron, on that perfectly and carefully crafted document that is the supreme law of the land, called the U.S. Constitution... Which actually makes ANY legislation that goes against anything to do with firearms ILLEGAL and TREASONOUS, because it goes against the 2nd Amendment of the Bill of Rights.

The funny thing is, his wording was "ban anything that turns a legal weapon into a machinegun"... Well, the LEGAL definition of a machinegun is any weapon that fires more than 1 projectile per pull of the trigger. Therefore, by the LEGAL DEFINITON of a machinegun, aftermarket triggers and bump stocks don't turn legal semiautomatic weapons into full-auto machineguns, because they DO NOT change the internal mechanics of the weapon. So, I don't really know if he's playing the gun-control/anti-gun crowd for fools and getting them to shut up, by wording it the way he did, or if he's just not wording it correctly, and is serious about banning these items? I'm a bit confused, as he's mind-screwed the liberals many times before, and said he is pro-2A many times before, so maybe that's what he's doing again???

the left does not use the English language, let alone use proper technical terminology.

they speak NewSpeak, where words like "Liberal" are transformed from meaning "someone who believes in the preeminence of individual liberty and natural rights" to "a radical, collectivist, neobolshevik who believes in the omnipotence of a global one world order".

So the technical details of what a machine gun is, does not concern them at all. Whatever loaded, fear-inspiring catch phrase is most effective at scaring the uninformed masses, is the word they're going to use.

What? How so?

Triggers fall under rate increasing devices. It may not go across the board for all firearms. But, even if they start with semi-autos they'll eventually try and chip away down to bolt actions. Everything that has ever been taken away has never been given back.

Triggers fall under rate increasing devices. It may not go across the board for all firearms. But, even if they start with semi-autos they'll eventually try and chip away down to bolt actions. Everything that has ever been taken away has never been given back.

On CNN tonight the current bill for the assault weapons ban is 200 rifles. The politicians were all under agreement to stop any loopholes they should ban up to the 2000 firearms that the law could potentially encompass.

Another interesting discussion was magazine capacity. What's the right number? 30, 15, 10, 5, 1, none?

Also upping the age for all firearms to 21. Ok if that's what you want to do then you need to up the age for the draft and military to 21. I've had 18 year olds under me in afg who were neutralizing IEDs. You can trust them to do that but can't trust them to own a rifle? Our politicians are cowards and anyone willing to freely give up rights for perceived safety is a coward.

'Public safety' is an excuse, and it's always been an excuse. Control is the thing they are after. Control of your money, your beliefs, and your capacity for self-determination.

Most leftist thought is based on the teachings of Saul Alinski, who summarized the directives of the early Bolsheviks in the USSR (people like Lenin, Trotsky, Bukharin and Preobrazhensky) in a book which he literally dedicated to satan. There is not much in there about Natural Rights and self-determination of the individual citizen, it's more geared toward the view that "safety" should be used as a slogan against liberty whenever a 'good' usable crisis occurs.

On the contrary, our founding fathers consulted heavily with Beccaria's treatise 'On Crimes and Punishments' when discussing the concept of public safety before planning out our own Constitution. Here is a quote from it:

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that it has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are of such a nature. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

I know which side of the issue I fall in line with.

Agreed, I did not see a sunset clause in this bill like in the last one they had in the 90s

So..., time to go buy my first AR? I typically prefer bolt actions over semi-auto rifles simply because of their inherent accuracy, however I had planned on buying at least on AR style rifle for defensive/varmint purposes Wasn't planning on buying any new rifles until second half of the year, but if any of these laws have a chance of being enacted, I don't want to be on the outside wishing I had moved earlier. While I'm on the subject anyone with any experience with the Noreen Firearms AR's? Any advice welcome.

Personal thoughts is that they won't be able to ban the AR's ever again, as there's too many out there, but yeah, no time like the present to have an excuse to go buy one or two, if you don't have one. Also, if you're going to want an aftermarket trigger for it, instead of a clunky-feeling heavy, gritty, mil-spec trigger, I'd suggest ordering those ASAP. Rise Armament RA-140 drop-ins are nice and affordable. Be sure to get some anti-walk pins (drop-ins require them).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.