More ATF idiots and stupidity

eaglesnester

I just do not understand how the United States government could be stupid enough to higher someone even more stupid. Check out U-Tube AONW an the Tacoma "Machine GUN" ATF Confiscation. I do not know how to get the link in here or I would have installed it for you all. Hopefully someone else knows how and can get er done. This would be funny if it did not effect those of us who are firearms owners and shooters.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

I have a few air sifts that belonged to my little brother and I've taken them apart out of curiosity. It is made of sheet metal (aluminum I believe). Absolute and utter BS. If these can be readily made into "military grade weapons" they either need to improve the quality control on the M16s or should just save a bunch of money by issueing these, since they're military grade and "deadly" anyhow.

This is pathetic...

I bet Obama gives him a medal for enforcing his "common sense" approach to gun control lol..........glad our tax money goes to good use:rolleyes:

Is that the same guy who shot himself in the foot at school with his glock? If not we need to post that video too.

I hope these idiots don't arrest me for giving my 8 year old nephew a Red Ryder BB gun. I think there is a way to get them to shoot a 30-30 round.

The first ATF guy who makes that toy be able to shoot real ammo NEEDS TO BE THE ONE PULLING THE TRIGGER! If that person has the kahonies to even try it. Anyone with half a brain could tell you the thing would blow up in a heartbeat! Its cheap plastic, and a plyable metal tube. Even if they could fire 1 round,(wich I belive to be impossible) the second would destroy the cheaply built plastic toy and soft metal tube! There is no possible way to make it into a centerfire weapon with any reliability or accuracy what so ever. Let alone a gun capable of fireing safely. What a bunch of crap! COMMON SENSE would be a fine way to spend TAX dollars, instead of this nonsense!lightbulb

The sad part is that 90%of the viewing public will take the agents comments at face value and believe that there is a serious danger of toys being converted into "military grade weapons".

People should be held accountable for the things that they say.

The, only way I could see that being used as a real rifle is if the lower was mil spec and the buffer spring/tube, trigger and a complete upper could be fitted to the lower and actually work. Only then would this be anywhere near reasonable.

Anyone care to comment on the veracity of this guys explanation?

Duh?! ATF Confiscates Shipment of Airsoft Guns in Tacoma | Popular Airsoft

InternetAugs

The material from your link

"Duh?! ATF Confiscates Shipment of Airsoft Guns in Tacoma
by Logan on March 1, 2010 03:20 -0600in FeatureThe news we've seen over the weekend just left us scratching our heads? The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms confiscated a shipment of airsoft guns, mainly M4 GBB rifles from WE after it was seized by the US Customs and Border Protection last October in Tacoma, Washington. The importer, Brad Martin, who is in the airsoft business for seven years are "flabbergasted" with the seizure and planned destruction of the confiscated airsoft guns.

The ATF says that "With minimal work it could be converted to a machine gun" and it looks and weighs just like those used in the military according to ATF agents.

The WE M4 GBB rifles seized by ATF agents (source: ATF)

Well....a big DUHHHH!!!??? They haven't shown how it can be converted into a real deal machine gun or assault rifle. These WE GBBs are being imported ever since they were released by airsoft retailers from all over the US and this is the first time they got confiscated by US Customs, as far as I know.

We'll be laughing over our heads if the ATF can prove that. With easy access to assault rifles in the US through your neighborhood and friendly gun store, why would someone import airsoft guns and convert them into real automatic assault rifles when it's cheaper to just buy from the gun store.

Perhaps some overzealous and ignorant customs and ATF agents? They can always check with other customs offices at various ports of entry in the US how they process imported airsoft guns, even if they come without orange tips as some retailers do the process themselves of installing these.

But now, this is a clear case of stupidity causing a legitimate businessman a big loss of US$12,000. This is a BIG FAIL!"

I tend to agree with his assesment.. Any AR-15 could be converted to full auto by any one that understands how they work. Don't see the logic in the ATF's actions

No I mean further down where the gentleman describes exactly how to convert the bottom half of these particular versions of the air guns to a fully automatic AR-15.

Augs

Here is the posting I was refering to: it's NOT my thoughts, just someone going by "308nick762"

They have their Reasons...

Submitted by 308nick762 on Wed, 03/10/2010 - 04:05.
Now all you airsoft guys are getting a taste of what people that manufacture, sell, and own real guns lives are like. This kind of BS happens all the time for us and now they are sticking their noses into airsoft, pretty much a harmless sport. Don't be surprised if you guys start seeing more of this.
I think its pretty funny that whoever wrote this thinks that you can just go buy a full auto AR-15 or any other "assault rifle" from your local gun shop. In fact they are not full auto, they are semi auto, which is why some crack head would want to (and probably did) make these airsoft guns full auto .223 shooting guns. (and no it is in no way cheaper to buy a real semi auto Ar-15 from a gun shop, and unless you have $10,000 to go blow on a legal Fully automatic M16 with an extra $200 transfer fee, then you won't be getting one of those either.
OK time for the explanation of why these are illegal and had to be confiscated. In the world of real guns (no affence to airsoft) the AR-15 rifle can be basiclly split into 2 sections, the upper assembly being the barrel, bolt, charging handle, and upper reciever, which is what holds the bolt and is a seperate piece from what holds the magazine, trigger etc, if you have ever dissasembled a real AR-15 or airsoft you know what I'm talking about. The UPPER assembly is not considered a gun and can be taken off of a real AR-15 and sold like a piece of scrap iron, needing no background checks, purchase age limit etc. These can be found for sale everywhere and priced from $200-$5000, and can range in caliber from .22 to .50 calibers.
Now, the lower assembly, which is made up of the trigger system, safety, rear buttstock, and lower receiver is what is causing all the problems. All the parts that go into the lower reciever (piece of metal that holds mag, etc.) are also considered scrap and can be bought anywhere, however the lower receiver is the one piece of the gun that the ATF regulates and considers that one piece a FIREARM. Now, for an even more confusing part, in the world of gunpowder powered guns there are two types of AR-15 lower recievers. One can only accept semi auto (one shot per trigger pull) parts, and it is made this way because the space inside of the metal can not fit the bigger full auto parts. And of course the fully automatic AR-15 (M16) lower receiver has a much larger space inside to hold all the extra, and larger full auto parts. NOW, in the world of air soft the lower receiver of an Air soft AR-15 is usually made in the same form of a real semi-auto AR-15 receiver. HOWEVER, this particular lot of airsoft AR-15's where made almost to the EXACT same dimensions as a FULLY AUTOMATIC AR-15 lower reciever, and they were made of ALUMINUM, not plastic. Now the reason the ATF was not giving these clear answers is because they did not want it known to the public HOW these could be made into real guns, as an attempt to keep some crazy loonbag from doing the conversion, which is REALLY, REALLY SIMPLE. All the conversion requires is an unregulated real upper AR-15 reciever, a surplus military trigger assembly, a .223 magazine, and a couple metal washers. Now just take out the gear box of the airsoft put in the trigger parts, remove the pin that holds the upper reciever to the lower reciever and swap the airsoft one for the real deal, insert your magazine filled with bullets and your ready to rock and roll. Now that is probably confusing to ya'll but its really really simple and the ATF is just doing their jobs.
Now the safety of the gun is questionable but it is capable of shooting, be it 5 rounds or 1000 rounds of full auto fire power. You might think its dumb since it is unsafe anyway, but hey, this is comming from a branch of the government that just recently put a man in jail for 10 years because his legal semi auto AR-15 malfunctioned, accidently fired a 5 round burst without stopping, then blew up in his hands. He reports the accident to the ATF and they send him to jail. I think this airsoft company got off pretty lucky for what they where dealing with.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.