more accurate past 200 then 100 yards

I don't see how those results could be repeatable. For groups to measure a smaller diameter consistently at a longer distance would mean that the bullets were changing direction in flight. I understand that some long bullets take a couple hundred yards to fully stabilize and that group size can essentially be the same at 300 yards as at 100 yards but for them to actually be smaller (not talking moa but actual measurement in inches which I believe is what the original poster is referring to) in a repeatable fashion is physically impossible. Not trying to stir the pot but just trying to justify it with the laws of physics.

I believe "yaw" plays a big part in the smaller groups at longer range, the bullet just needs time to "go to sleep"

Sambo has a valid point. No amount of a bullet "going to sleep" (whatever that actually is) is going to account for it changing direction in flight - which is what it would have to do.

I can see a possibility for a better MOA result at a longer distance - I've seen that numerous times - but not a better actual group size.

Sambo has a valid point. No amount of a bullet "going to sleep" (whatever that actually is) is going to account for it changing direction in flight - which is what it would have to do.

I can see a possibility for a better MOA result at a longer distance - I've seen that numerous times - but not a better actual group size.

That was my earlier comment as well. I don't discount what the poster saw, I just wonder whether it is repeatable? I think that would tell the tale......Rich

"going to sleep" I think It means the bullet "yaw" has settled down , causing a smaller GROUP at further distance, more like, the bullet has stabilized, not "changed direction"

"going to sleep" I think It means the bullet "yaw" has settled down , causing a smaller GROUP at further distance, more like, the bullet has stabilized, not "changed direction"

That is what it means but it is normally measured in less moa not less actual.....Rich

My opinion - it is impossible. (at least as originally posted)

How is it possible for bullets to diverge from the line of sight (within a single group) and then converge at some point after the first 100 yds, resulting in a smaller measured group? That would require an inexplicable, mid-flight change in direction that would defy the laws of physics.

I'm no expert soooo - it's just my opinion. Reduced moa, yes. Reduced group size, naa.

I believe MOA is what is being talked about here.

For instance, I have a rifle that with a 175smk will barely hold 1" at 100yds. Same rifle, same load, shoots 1.5" at 300.

Conversely a load that may shoot 1 hole groups at 100, may not do worth a **** past 300.

orkan,
Go back and look at the original post, he was referring to inches. Yes, if we were talking moa it certainly is possible to have smaller moa groups at long range, as it would still be either the same measurement in inches or bigger.

Sounds like you put some serious lead down range and I definitely agree that 300 yards will tell you alot more about a high BC bullet than 100 yards. Welcome to LRH!

Sorry gents I was down state all week

yes I am talking Inches not MOA, I will try to repeat it this weekend, and also try some M118 ammo to see how well it shoots with heavier ammo

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.