More 200 gr Accubond results

winmagman

On Sunday the 16th I was fortunate enough to take 2 whitetail deer with my 300 win mag using 200 gr. Accubonds. The first was a 8 pt. buck at 191 yds. I shot him through both front shoulders (near a property line, didn't want him going anywhere) the bullet passed through both shoulders and exited. The second was a rather large doe, she was shot broadside through both lungs at 242 yds. again the bullet exited. The buck managed to go about eight feet before expiring, the doe dropped right in her tracks and never moved. So far this bullet seems to be the real deal. Hope to get a few more opprotunities in the next few weeks. Will keep you guys posted.
Chris

You might be interested to hear that Nosler has just announced a 180 grain .30 cal bullet and a 140 in 7mm. Should be good for your rifle also since deer really do not require a 200 grain bullet.

Hopefully they are also working on lighter weights, would like to see a 165 and a 150 for us guys who shoot the mighty .308 Win.

Ian M
Thanks for the info, may try the 180's at a later date. For right now I'll stick with the 200's I chose them for their long range potential and since I've got them shooting about 1/2 - 3/4 MOA I'm sticking with them.
I know it's overkill for deer but they work.
Hopefully after the first of the year I'll pick up a .243 and have that ready for next season, sure would like to see a 100 gr Accubond for that!!
Chris

I just bought a box of the Nosler 180bt.

Did a little load development the other day..Shot about 1MOA...I will get this round shooting as accurate as I can and see what it does on a Cow Elk...

However I might consider that 200gr Accubond after hearing your results.

Winmagman, how much damage was done to the shoulders of that deer? Were you able to salvage anything from it? I am shooting a 200 gr Accubond out of my 300WM as well, and am worried that I would lose the whole front half of the deer if I hit in the shoulder. I usually use 165 ballistic tips, but sighted in the accubonds to use on elk primarily.

Thanks

gonehuntingagain,

Haven't got my 300 yet, but I find 165 BTs extremely destructive (fist size exit wounds) on deer from my 308. I had assumed they would be like grenades at 300 velocities and wasn't going to use them. What's the destruction like at magnum velocity? -or do you have a self-imposed minimum range?

Brown Dog, The 165 ballistic tips leave a nice quarter size hole when shot through the ribcage as close as 50 yards. I try for a heart/lung shot, so I have not had the experience of hitting the shoulder or spine with my 300Win Mag. I havew hit a deer in the spine 10 years ago with a 30-06 and it blew a hole the size of my head in the deer. I thought I heard that Nosler changed the ballistic tip a couple of years after that incident, but I may be wrong.
If i'm lucky, I'll get to see what the Accubond does on a deer this week.

gonehuntingagain
Both shoulders were pretty much trashed. There was a little left to salvage for burger, but the damage was fairly extensive.

I took another med-small doe yesterday. She was quartering toward me and I shot her just behind the shoulder at less than 50 yds. She took of so darn fast that I thought I'd missed her. Turns out the bullet went clean thru without hitting a bone, exit hole on off side about golf ball sized near back of rib cage. She went about 40 yds. before piling up.
Chris

Took 2 more does this evening, both between 200 and 250 yards. The bullet passed clean through the first (smaller) one. The second one was quartering towards me and I shot her through the shoulder and was able to retreive the bullet just under the skin on the off side. What started as a 200 gr. Accubond wound up as a perfecrt little mushroom that weighed 144.8 grs.

Hunter66654
Not sure which weight your asking about but the B.C. of the 200 grn. is .588
Chris

Ian M said in his post that Nosler had announced a 180 grain bullet. I assumed he was talking about a new 180 grain accubond bullet and would like to know the BC if this is correct.

this is my blesbok that I shot in Namibia this past spring. I used a Rem700 LSS in .300 WinMag.

fc2bcc1a.jpg

Here is the recovered AccuBond. The paper says red hartebeest, but it is from the blesbok.
fbfbe81e.jpg

The bullet entered the left rear leg just below the hip joint, then went through the guts, through the right lung and broke a rib stopping under the skin just behind the right front shoulder. Pretty tough bullets!

I'll be using them for deer on Monday 12/1.

[ 11-27-2003: Message edited by: GeorgeInNePa ]

Sorry but I have not received any data on the SD for the newest Nosler Accubonds yet, expect it will be very good as they are long bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.