Moose?

They cancelled our moose hunts in Minnesota due to the population declining over the past few years below the safe manageable numbers. Who know when/if that will ever be brought back into play:( .
Is this a result of attrition due to wolves? I heard about hunting dogs being killed by wolves there a year ago.

Is this a result of attrition due to wolves? I heard about hunting dogs being killed by wolves there a year ago.

According to the MN DNR(department of natural resources) wolves are not the main culprit because they are finding dead moose with tracking collars on and no signs of wolf attacks or even them being scavenged on by wolves...I'm pretty sure the wolves aren't helping the moose population replenish.

couple of the last few moose I've been in on

Attachments

• moose.JPG
    moose.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 183
  • moose 2.jpg
    moose 2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 193
I'd sure like to knock the props out from under one of these suckers. Moose are just plain cool critters. I hope to do it before I die,but time sure is slipping away. They are definitely our most impressive antlered game.

2013 Bull

This year's bull came easy about a hundred yards, but a surprise none-the-less. I go through a low area—this year flooded so #1 tree stand renamed pond stand—and begin calling when I make the turn into the pond. As I raised my hands to call out popped this bull. He must have had superb hearing… I put him down in the trail where he'd be easiest to deal with; he was "gone" within ten seconds. The meat promised to be excellent therefore as indeed it is. So no shot from the Edge was required; maybe next year.

Attachments

• homeward bound2.jpg
    homeward bound2.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 216
  • homeward bound1.jpg
    homeward bound1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 183
  • hot pants they ain't; big pants they is.jpg
    hot pants they ain't; big pants they is.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 270 & Edge under case.jpg
    270 & Edge under case.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 2013 bull3.jpg
    2013 bull3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 180
  • 2013 bull6.jpg
    2013 bull6.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 183
got my bull on Sept, 17 2013
338 Edge and 300 gr Nosler Accubond bullet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 198
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts