Moose?

grizz2s.jpg

image0191818.jpg

jims2012348.jpg

There have been a few threads on moose hunting, here's a pic of my wife and one of the moose that she has taken over the years.

Gus
1291855798_2006_hunt_156.jpg

A few of us go on a fly in every year. Nothing better than getting dropped off on a sandy beach with a tent,food and booze. Had great success for the last five years. This is a pic of this years moose.
DSCN1051.jpg

As far as an instructional on hunting. I can start by saying never ever shoot a moose in the water. I can also say if one is hunting along the water ways we ALWAYS shoot a moose behind the ear when he is facing away from the water or in a position in which when he drops he is not in the water.

I can remember the last member of a hunting party was still waiting for the moose he wanted to shoot. He took off in a small 16' skiff a week into the hunt. The rest went grouse hunting, did some fishing or whatever. Some time later this guy comes back to camp and askes for help as he had his moose down. Every one loads up and heads a couple miles down the Yukon river. When the get there they find what appears to be a bull moose floating in the water of a slough.

After exchanging unpleasantries they went back to camp, got the 30' transport boat with twin 150 Yamaha's on the back. Nine hours later the very wet meat was hanging on a meat pole back in camp. Yes accidents happen and the closest I ever came to this was the afternoon of opening of moose season it started raining one year. The 1/2 of a bull was laying on dry ground where he was shot and we went back the next morning after getting 9" of rain over night. The only thing sticking out of the water was the antlers. Only time in 25 years of moose hunting that this has ever happened.

We had brought a canoe back the next morning and was going to pack the meat the 100 yards over to the creek and let the boat do all the work after that. We tied up next to the moose and quartered the last two quarters under water and the two of us then lifted the back bone and head up on the pile in the canoe and finished butchering. The backstraps went out the day before.

Neal

moose hunt gear i have to take with me

living on the lower yukon river, there is no telling where you spot and drop a moose. along river / creek banks, meadows, bogs, marsh, edge of lakes and sand bars.

along with traditional hunting gear. there's a few item's we do not leave home without. two or three 8' x 10' poly tarps, heavy 100 ft rope and a come-along winch.

these are a few trips over the years where these items came in handy;

a 13 point on one side bull (massive bull) rolled into a deep and narrow creek along a lake, we split the rope into two pieces, tied one end up on the base of many brush and the other around the head and antlers connecting the ends with the come-along winch and cranked that monster out of the water.

one ran out into a lake and had to tow the bull into the slough, find a spot on the beach where the gradient slope was flat and tied the head to the bow of the boat and used it to drive the bull out of the water.

another was in a narrow creek which the banks were soft muck. half of the moose was out of the water, butchered top half then spread out a tarp and flipped the other half onto it on the muck. also did this on another trip where the bull dropped on a sandbar, tarp kept moose clean of sand.

now i'm not saying for you to bring these on trip's and try them, that's at your own risk. these are a few item's I don't leave home without.

Re: moose hunt gear i have to take with me

living on the lower yukon river, there is no telling where you spot and drop a moose. along river / creek banks, meadows, bogs, marsh, edge of lakes and sand bars.

along with traditional hunting gear. there's a few item's we do not leave home without. two or three 8' x 10' poly tarps, heavy 100 ft rope and a come-along winch.

these are a few trips over the years where these items came in handy;

a 13 point on one side bull (massive bull) rolled into a deep and narrow creek along a lake, we split the rope into two pieces, tied one end up on the base of many brush and the other around the head and antlers connecting the ends with the come-along winch and cranked that monster out of the water.

one ran out into a lake and had to tow the bull into the slough, find a spot on the beach where the gradient slope was flat and tied the head to the bow of the boat and used it to drive the bull out of the water.

another was in a narrow creek which the banks were soft muck. half of the moose was out of the water, butchered top half then spread out a tarp and flipped the other half onto it on the muck. also did this on another trip where the bull dropped on a sandbar, tarp kept moose clean of sand.

now i'm not saying for you to bring these on trip's and try them, that's at your own risk. these are a few item's I don't leave home without.
We have shot just as many moose in the water as out of the water. I don't find it a big deal to quarter it up in a couple of feet of water. It's way easier to get it in the boat if you can pull right up beside it. We have all the tarps, ropes etc, and its a pain to carry quarters over dead fall ,creeks and swamps. I'm not getting any younger. Best part of the hunt is trying to shoot the wolves, when they come into camp trying to get the meat off the hanging pole lol.

haha, yup. we can squeeze off a good heart or lung shot but those massive monsters tend to run off a little ways. only trouble is there's no telling which way. better to have those item's just in case. just like that one rolling into the deep creek. we'd need scuba gear if tried cutting it where it floated. that come-along winch saved the day. better to have and not need than to need and not have. good luck on all your trips and enjoy. scott

I hear ya my friend. We don't have the big racks like you Alaska boys, but our Northern Manitoba moose are not to bad. If I win the lottery I'll look you up lol. Happy hunting.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.