moose vs caribou

6mm06guy

I'm going hunting in Alaska the first week in September, this is a poor man's hunt, spend as little as possible. No guides. A friend of mine lives in North pole, and we will be hunting all public land. My friend is not a local, and is there for the military so he's not much help, as far as where to go. This is a once in a lifetime trip for me and I want to kill something. Any help from locals or people who have done diy hunts would be greatly appreciated :)

Moose and Caribou are ok no sheep without a guide.

I would focus on one and look at bush flights for access. The flight services will get you on game without a guide. If not you are looking at a huge area limited mobility and no local knowledge.

Moose and Caribou are ok no sheep without a guide.

I would focus on one and look at bush flights for access. The flight services will get you on game without a guide. If not you are looking at a huge area limited mobility and no local knowledge.

Remember......a guide maybe paying the same flying service 50 or a 100 or 200 thousand dollars a year for services.....so try to take a wild guess as to who it is in the flying service's best interest to serve..... and also where the local guide wants the non-guided hunters deposited......and especially where he **** sure does not want them deposited.

Where about did you guys go? My buddy's and I are starting to plan a hunt that will happen in the next few years. Yes, lots if time before hand, but starting the research now to get a better understanding on what direction we may want to go.

As far as cost went, was it pretty reasonable?

Well guys, I can't get my phone or my computer to upload my pics. I don't know why.... I miss the old system...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.