Moose Outfitter

Trooper1

Considering a Moose hunt for the 22/23 season, in the Yukon or Alaska. Looking for outfitter recommendations, and what you liked/disliked about your trip. Feel free to PM if you'd rather than post publicly. It's a bg trip for me, probably a once in a lifetime hunt. Not looking for a backpacking trip. Thanks in advance!

Check out "Jonah's Alaskan Outfitters". I can't say enough good things about them! I honestly felt like I was one of their family while I was there. You can also PM me with a phone number and I'd gladly call you and talk about my experience.

Red River outfitters in the Yukon.
These 2 were taken with them 2 years ago on the same hunt.

Attachments

• 14499.jpeg
    14499.jpeg
    41.6 KB · Views: 240
  • 14500.jpeg
    14500.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 235
My advice is to work with an independent 3rd party who works with multiple outfitters. I use Jordan at The Draw - he started it after being at Cabela's Outdoor Adventures and then WTA when Cabela's sold that biz.

He only works with outfitters he knows and respects and has no incentive to push you to one outfitter over another - so you don't have to sort through any biases one way or the other.

I know Jordan well and he is a straight shooter, no pun intended.

I like Mike at lazy J bar O. My next moose hunt will be with him...I have hunted the peninsula for Moose with Tracy Vrem. He put me on a good one. 72+ inches. Both great out fitters just different type of hunting. With Mike, you are hunting in the Alaska range. Good Moose # and size. With Tracy, you are hunting a specific moose. Mike uses horses, Tracy flies you to where the moose are, then you are on foot. You have to decide what type of hunt you want....Tracy Vrem's Blue Mountain Lodge. I have been with both 3 times. Tracy has great fishing and brown bears along with the moose. Mike horses are excellent. He hauls them from Montana every year. Great Stock...Headed back with Mike to do a caribou when ever i can draw. Then a group of us are headed in 2025 for moose with Mike.

Last edited:
Considering a Moose hunt for the 22/23 season, in the Yukon or Alaska. Looking for outfitter recommendations, and what you liked/disliked about your trip. Feel free to PM if you'd rather than post publicly. It's a bg trip for me, probably a once in a lifetime hunt. Not looking for a backpacking trip. Thanks in advance!
I live in Alaska PM me and I can give you a few things to think about

Don't go to the Yukon, was supposed to go last year and still not sure if I'm gonna get to go this year!
Starting August 9, 2021, Canada plans to begin allowing entry to American citizens and permanent residents, who are currently residing in the United States, and have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior to entering Canada for non-essential travel.

Subsequently, on September 7, 2021, provided that the domestic epidemiologic situation remains favorable, the Government intends to open Canada's borders to any fully vaccinated travelers who have completed the full course of vaccination with a Government of Canada-accepted vaccine at least 14 days prior to entering Canada and who meet specific entry requirements.

Subject to limited exceptions, all travelers must use ArriveCAN (app or web portal) to submit their travel information. If they are eligible to enter Canada and meet specific criteria, fully vaccinated travelers will not have to quarantine upon arrival in Canada.

Effective August 9, 2021, international flights carrying passengers will be permitted to land at most major Canadian airports.

Currently all travelers, regardless of vaccination status, will still require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result. However effective August 9, 2021, the Government of Canada is adjusting its post-arrival testing strategy for fully vaccinated travelers. Using a new border testing surveillance program at airports and land border crossings, fully vaccinated travelers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test.

To read the full news release, click HERE.

So basically you will need to download the arriveCan app or go to website. Submit your travel information, vaccination record and the negative covid test within 72 hours of departure.

People who had covid and or suspect they had covid must have a test at least 14 days prior to their 72 hour pre-departure test to demonstrate that if they test positive that it is a result of a recovery from COVID and that they have now recovered.

You will also need to have been fully vaccinated by one of the following approved vaccines at least 14 days prior to your departure( Moderna, Pfizer, Astra Zeneca, Johnson and Johnson.

Link to Arrive Can below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...oronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a0

Also an important part before going back to the USA.

As of today USA still requires all travelers entering the USA to have a negative covid test pre-boarding for the international leg of their trip. Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary airports all offer this service. As well and possibly more conveniently this testing can be done at a private clinic in Whitehorse https://hummingbirdmobilehealth.com/. As of today, based on guidance from the US Centers for Disease Control, the "return to USA test" can be an antigen test which costs $125+gst in Whitehorse (Usually completed in 24 hrs). This clinic also supports mine-crew changes so to expedite testing and staff availability at the clinic, larger hunter change days (10 or more) and clinic staff testing requirements will need to be scheduled in advance. This returning traveler testing requirements may change in weeks ahead.

Due to this test we recommend flying out a day later than planned on your hunts to allow for the results. This piece of the puzzle could likely go away in the near future but should be planned in just incase.

We will provide a link to the clinic shortly to book in the test at the end of your hunt.

72+ years old, New Zealand citizens (me & my pillion in a million - I'm a cradle snatcher LOL), travelling home from a 6+ week visit to family and friends in Perth, Western Australia. NZ Gov't required a 72 hr pre-flight nasopharyngeal (now I know what the local New Zealand comment 'up your nose with a rubber hose' means LOL), swab with negative result. Also required a written (text or email) result to show airline staff prior to boarding plane and also to show Immigration on arrival in NZ. No issues there. Zero community cases in over 150 days IIRC, all infections caught at the border. Gov't thinking about a similar process to Canada and US, as mentioned above 🤞🤞🤞