Moose calibre?

Ok you ridge runners,, What caliber of rifle would recomend for Moose hunting?
I have .3006 03A3s and Remington 7MM Mags in my safe.
I'm biased. Killed my first Mule Deer buck (Forky) when I was 10, and my first Whitetail Buck (3x3) at 12 with my Grandpa's 03 in 06 with a K5 Weaver on it. Shoot your dang moose with the 03-06!!!!

338wm with 200+ gr Barnes. Don't mess around on a moose. Been apart of tracking wounded moose, they just keep going, not fun.
Bullet Placement, Construction, Displacement in that order.

Anything that can match the 6.5 Swede which has killed tens of thousands of European "moose" and every large mammal in Africa since it arrived on the scene will get the job done with the right bullet put in the right spot.

Anything between 7mmMag and 30-06.
Lots of Moose in your area taken with a .303.

Well at the time of his post in 2013 he said he had both those calibers in the safe, hence why I said either will do. No need to purchase another caliber when the two he has work great. There's plenty of other options

Bullet Placement, Construction, Displacement in that order.

Anything that can match the 6.5 Swede which has killed tens of thousands of European "moose" and every large mammal in Africa since it arrived on the scene will get the job done with the right bullet put in the right spot.
I'm going to be on British Columbia a moose hunt in a few weeks. I'll be rocking a 6.5 creedmoor for deer, black bear, and moose. The ballistics being comparable to the swede gives me some confidence it will do the trick. I won't be taking any shots greater than 300m so we'll see what happens!

I'm going to be on British Columbia a moose hunt in a few weeks. I'll be rocking a 6.5 creedmoor for deer, black bear, and moose. The ballistics being comparable to the swede gives me some confidence it will do the trick. I won't be taking any shots greater than 300m so we'll see what happens!
Ah Yes, The 6.5 Creedmoor, The most deadly cartridge ever invented, Good for Prairie Dogs To Cape Buffalo!

If you look in Hornadys newest reloading manual you will see that they have put all of the 6.5 cartridges in order of their percieved speed and power, They have placed the 6.5x55 a few places behind the creedmoor and listed much slower velocities for the swede, If you open up some older books and take a look at swede velocitys, Especially with the heavier bullets, The swede exceeds the creedmoor by a good margin, You chamber it in something other than a Model 96 Mauser and it really can far exceed the creedmoor. I dont think I would be using a 6.5 creedmoor for Black Bear or moose, You should be packing at least a 30-06 or a 300 win mag.

Either of those choices will work, just make sure to use a good bullet.

I shoot a 338 win mag with federal premium safari 250 gr nosler and have taken moose from 10 to 250 yds. I've only shot three in the lungs and it usually drops them in their tracks. The other 20ish we're head shots and you can guess what that does. I hunt areas with lots of brown bears and all but one guy I hunt with has upgraded from 270's or '06 to 338 wm after seeing what it does. If I didn't pack the 338 it would be the 375 due to the bears. Moose are not usually hard animals to kill but they can fluff up like a crack addict occasionally. I have a buddy who has a pair of pants hanging in his garage ripped buy an antler from the middle of the back of the thigh to the belt line after being tossed over a stump by a moose. It was originally dropped with a '06 and "finished off" with a 223 he carried in his 180. Long story short, he was waiting for hooves in his back when the third guy shot it with a 270 and put it down. He also had a client empty a 300 win mag on a moose they never found. I also had one I shot 7 times in the neck with a 7mm mag before it dropped. It was at 30 yds and I could see every bullet hit (obviously not spine). The moral of the story is that lots of energy is good when things don't always go perfectly. That's reality and why I like the 338 or 375.

55D303D7-DF5F-48C9-9275-1A75BB059092.jpeg

I use 308, 30-06, 9,3x62 and 375 h&h.
All four are good. But for some strange reason I favour 375 over the others and therefore use it for most, nearly all, of my hunting both smaller and big game.
I really like this caliber. By the way I handload them all four.

We shot a couple of moose this season. It was British Columbia moose, middle of the province. They're a bit smaller than Alaskan moose. Both animals were taken with ELD-X bullets.

One was at about 25 yards, was hit 3x with 6.5 PRC before it eventually went down. Not the most accurate shot placement but all in the chest cavity.

2nd moose was 330 yards. 1 round with the 6.5 PRC dumped it on the spot. Shot was taken from a tripod, no wind, and wasn't rushed by a competitive long-range shooter. All heart and lungs, the animal was forward facing.

Recent Posts