Moose calibre?

The 300 win and 300 WBY are excellent for moose. Suggest use a good bonded bullet like the Swift A frame or Nosler Part.

The 338 Win or 338 RUM seems to destroys less meat using the same bullets in 225gr.

I am a big fan of the 300 Win, 338 Win and 338 RUM for moose hunting.

This 2016 moose season I will hunting with my Custom Rem 700 XCR 2 in 338 RUM with swift A frames 225gr.

I like his hunting!

That 375 Ruger is a great shorter range caliber, I'm reading good things about that case too.
It's a caliber you can easily stretch to around 600yds with a 26"bbl and a good bit farther with a longer barrel.

Even with the 270gr bullets you can run them at about 2800fps.

I agree with most of what has been said. I have shot Moose with 270, 280, 308NM and 375 H&H. They have very large lungs and heart. The first big game animal I killed was a moose. Shot it twice with a 150 gr out of a 270 in the boiler room. Due to my inexperience, he did not fall over so I aimed further back, shot, didn't fall, moved my aim further forward, shot, fell over. Neck shot put him down, first two destroyed heart/lungs third shot blew apart his guts. Next 3 or 4 moose were my 308 Norma. Only had one bang/flop. Usually dead 30 yrds or so. I had one bad hunt when a buddy shot with a 300 WM, 400 yds or so and hit the hump. Lots of blood initially, he laid down after going 100 yds, then no blood. Tracked him for several days, I'm sure he died but did not find him. I over think most things, bought a pre64 in 375 H&H. I decided I wanted an exit hole, always. Not that both the 270 and NM did not but was sure the 375 would always. Next moose, used light barnes bullets, called a 56" and shot twice. He went almost 200yrds. Really hard tracking , leaves on the ground, very little blood, thick bush. Recovered both bullets 2" apart against the hide. Lungs and heart cavity was like gel. He weighed over 1200lbs, skinned, head and legs off. I now load 300gr premium bullets, have shot 6 or 7 or so, have not recovered any bullets. Big hole if muscle and bone are hit, smaller but large hole through the boiler room. Tend not to gel the lungs as much. Had one bang /flop at 10 yds, spine shot. He wanted to have sex with me, and caught me off guard when he sneaked through two shooters and I was calling. My brother has shot as many as me and uses a 30-06, with heavy well constructed bullets.

Though this deserved a prop up! If there are two calibers that would cover Moose hunting compleatly without getting into Magnums and long barrels, it would have to be a toss up between a 338/06 or the time tested old 35 Whelen, the Whelen when handloaded with 59grs of RL15 and a 250 Speer right at 2600 from a 24"barrel is basically a .338 in disguise!

I have a 338/06 being built at this time!!!

I have a 338/06 being built at this time!!!

Funny you bring that up, I also have a 338-06 being built right now! Not that I need more guns but I got bit by the Elk bug. Hunting in northern Alberta Rocky Mountain foothills, in the bush shots are close, but we walked 5-8 miles up and down ~1000ft in elevation many times a day. My first hunt (two seasons ago) I took my good friend the 375H&H. It is a 11#+ gun, we had a falling out. I never pulled the trigger but longed for one of my lighter rifles. After talking to several smith's locally I decided to buy the tools and build it myself. It was not completed last year for the Elk hunt, so I carried my 308NM. Didn't pull the trigger again, Elk are unlike anything I have ever hunted.
Anyways, I am finishing an oven I built this weekend to Cerakote the metal. It is a ~ 1950's Husqvarna 98, timney trigger, Dakota 3 position safety, MPI classic stock, 22" barrel in chrome moly. It is light, points really well and ballistically meets or beat the 308 Norma. The bullet availability for the 338 is amazing. I have OCD bad and am pondering improving the chamber before it is even complete. I am starting to suffer from sleep deprivation since finding this forum, I didn't realize what I had been missing.

Funny you bring that up, I also have a 338-06 being built right now! Not that I need more guns but I got bit by the Elk bug. Hunting in northern Alberta Rocky Mountain foothills, in the bush shots are close, but we walked 5-8 miles up and down ~1000ft in elevation many times a day. My first hunt (two seasons ago) I took my good friend the 375H&H. It is a 11#+ gun, we had a falling out. I never pulled the trigger but longed for one of my lighter rifles. After talking to several smith's locally I decided to buy the tools and build it myself. It was not completed last year for the Elk hunt, so I carried my 308NM. Didn't pull the trigger again, Elk are unlike anything I have ever hunted.
Anyways, I am finishing an oven I built this weekend to Cerakote the metal. It is a ~ 1950's Husqvarna 98, timney trigger, Dakota 3 position safety, MPI classic stock, 22" barrel in chrome moly. It is light, points really well and ballistically meets or beat the 308 Norma. The bullet availability for the 338 is amazing. I have OCD bad and am pondering improving the chamber before it is even complete. I am starting to suffer from sleep deprivation since finding this forum, I didn't realize what I had been missing.

Good luck to you with the 338-06 and moose. I wont be using mine unless I can find and outfitter that can handle wheelchair clients......not that Im wheel chair bound but might as well be.

Good luck

Not much experience with moose (1) but have taken a heap of big antelope such as Eland, Kudu, roan, sable,ect.. I really like 338 for such...I became enamored with the 338 win mag 8 years ago--on a African cull hunt--awesome at dumping gemsbok and blue wildebeest with 250 grain soft points ( I think they were just Serria game kings) we also had a hand full of the 300 grain Woodleighs...shot right thru a nice size eland. I also love a 9.3x62..the largest animal I took with it was a nice size giraffe--recoil was light and performance was big! Love that caliber.

Ed

Hi,

We use all from 6.5x55 SE to 9.3x62 for Scandinavian mooses. All work well if shot placement is right. We harvest around 25-35 mooses every year with our hunting group. 308Win is most popular. I Use both 308Win and 9.3x62. Both work.

M

The 35 Whelen with a 250 grain bullet does a great job with elk and will do a great job on Moose as well.

375 H&H and here's why. 300 Wildcat for Moose. 150 Barnes and 180 Noslers for Moose Hunting. 338 Winchester for a Moose Rifle. 308 for a Moose Hunting Rifle. 358 Savage Lever Action. 308 Remington Pump Action. 270 WSM.

Back when I started hunting my first rifle was the .270 Win. All I shot was 130 CorLocks. Yet I was able to take 2 Alaskan moose, but it took 2 shots each. When is moose county you may experience grizzlies and if you are covered with blood just makes and easy meal for them. Having to do that all over I would prefer to carry a 300 Win Mag as the smallest but prefer the 338 Win Mag.

Well. my first moose was with an old mauser 308. did not go more than 20 yards with lung shot. next was with 270win and 150grain Sierra game kings, I have now taken over 70 deer with the same rifle.. and same bullet.. all pass through except for the moose.. in the end,, shot placement,, good bullet choice will give you the results... I have seen some guys with 3030 take moose down but under 100 yards.

I was fortunate enough to get picked in the NH moose lottery. Each permit holder was required to attend a NH F&G seminar.

They recommended .30-06 as a minimum caliber. They also said moose shot in the heart or lungs went an average of 17 feet. Moose shot in the head or neck went over 1/4 mile. A moose can find some seriously nasty stuff to hang up in over a quarter mile.

My partner shot ours with his .308. He is probably the most talented marksman I know personally, probably because he started as a kid shooting squirrels with a .22lr. The moose dropped in his tracks.

Just use enough gun. Shot placement is more important than how much more than enough gun.

While I have never drawn a tag for moose, I see them all the time elk hunting here locally. At least where I am from (SW MT.) moose dont have much fear and are usually close to water in thick brush. Elk shots tend to be long, but Moose shots would be close. The only way you would take anything past 200 is if you wanted to for some reason. So, assume a quick shot in thick willow/brush. BC and the normal long range concerns would take a back seat to a good tough bullet. A 338 win mag with 225 partitions sounds good to me.