Moose bullets?

I think the Nosler Partitions are very effective hunting bullets. My dad shot a New Hampshire bull using my 300 RUM and a 180 gr Partition. The bull didn't take a step. Of course, the Idaho bull he shot a few years earlier with his 300 WM and a 180 gr Core-Lokt dropped in its tracks, too. My only gripes with Partition Spitzers are the relatively low ballistic coefficient and nose deformity in the magazine. However, neither matters at the ranges most of my shooting has been.

If I ever draw another moose tag and decide to carry a 30 caliber magnum, I will probably use either a Barnes LRX, a Hammer Hunter, a Nosler Partition, or a Swift A-Frame.
The Partition gold is made a little differant than the regular partition The partition is set back farther

Shooters love to make this stuff rocket science, I did that in my younger years as well.

The easy button is the oldy but goody Partition. It has it all, has for decades.....end of story
There is no doubt that the partition is a good bullet, however I have killed a few bull elk with them out of a 308 Win with 165 gr pttn in 99 savage and 180 gr. in 300 win mag at ranges from 20 yds in the thick timber to 400 yds in open country and was able to retrieve some of the bullets on the opposite side of entrance wound either against the hide or in the meat. I kept the bullets and weighed them and the weight retention varied from about 40 % to 65 % . I have done the same thing with Trophy Bonded Bear Claws out of a 25-06 in 115 gr. on deer and antelope at ranges from 100 yds to 400 yds and realized 90-95 % weight retention, 338 Win Mag with 225 gr TBBC's on 2 Caribou at 300 and 425 yds. The bull at 425 yds was facing me straight on the round entered under his chin, broke 3 vertebrae above his shoulders and lodged against the hide at the back of a rear hind quarter and fell out as we were skinning and quartering him. My guide picked up the bullet, asked me what I was shooting, I told him TBBC's and he said that was the best performance he had ever seen out of a bullet. That bullet retained a little over 90% of its weight after weighing it. I have shot 300 gr Swift A Frames out of a 375 HH on Cape Buffalo and Eland in Zimbabwe with the same results, 90 -95 % retention after breaking leg bones on both sides of a Buff, always with that classic bulge just behind the mushroom. TBBC's did well at about 80 % but not as well as the A-Frames. I also shot 200 gr. A-Frames out of a 300 Win Mag on Wildebeest,Zebra, Greater Kudu, Warthog and other plains game with the same results when the bullets could be recovered. Partitions are good but in my experience the TBBC and A-Frames are a better bullet. More weight retention translates to better penetration.

This place is such a fountain of knowledge from guys and gals that have actually pulled the trigger on animals and have seen first hand the effectiveness of bullets. I read this whole thread and I am curious to try the Federal Terminal ascent bullets but they don't seem to be in stock anywhere. Has anyone been able to get any?

Funny.....I'm about to call Steve from Hammer bullets with this exact question on what he'd recommend for a 1-9 twist 7mm Rem mag on moose.....I'd like it to do double duty for long range Wolf in AK if the opportunity presented itself, and I'd rather just have one load. I killed one in AK with a bow, and was amazed at even the rib bones. I center punched one with a 74 pound bow and the rib was wide enough it didn't break, it just had a perfect broadhead hole in it. My arrow only went in about halfway....... that said it only ran 30 yards and fell over dead, so I know they are very kill-able, but man the bone mass them things have is amazing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.