Montour County Rifles taking new orders for 2017

Kevin Cram

Hello everyone,
I know it's been quite a while since I've posted much on LRH. The past several years I've been slammed with work and my back log got to the point where I stopped taking in new work all together until I could see some light at the end of the tunnel. Well that light just started to shine. I still have a hand full of rifles to finish but with trying to stay ahead of some lead times I'm trying to keep my plate full through 2017 at least. I should have all my old orders buttoned up by the end of this year. I hired on an apprentice almost 2 years ago who has been working out wonderfully. He has learned so much so quickly that the few rifles that he built for himself shoot very well. I've slowly been letting him do more and more and he is a big factor in why I'm getting caught up. With my work load reduced my turn around times should be much better, with quality the number one priority though. Anything from full builds to accurizing a factory rifle, bedding, muzzle brakes and small jobs. I'm going to try to be more active on here as much as I can, as it is all of you that help me do what I love for a living.

Glad to see you back Kevin.
For those that don't know Kevin, he's one of the top builders of custom rifles. Very meticulous , knowledgeable, and a down to earth guy. Builds every rifle as it were a competition rifle, and has many winning rifles in the 1k circuit.

Kevin I have a savage large shank barrel I'd like turned down to small shank and muzzle brake installed. Also I don't know if its worth accurizing a savage action but that as well. Can this be done?

Assuming this is a pre-threaded, pre-chambered barrel all that would need done is turning the tennon down to 1.055" until the breech end tapers off to the rest of the barrel contour and then re-thread for the small shank. Not a problem to install a muzzle brake or blueprint the action in the process.
I've yet to see a factory production action that wouldn't benefit from having it squared. If your re-using the barrel nut nothing can be done about the receiver threads but, the receiver face and internal locking lugs can be single point re-cut perpendicular to the actions center line. Same goes with the bolt head. Replace the stamped factory lug with a double disc ground recoil lug and I can square the back of the barrel nut based of it's existing threads. Although the bolt head floats that just takes up for any center line mis-alignment with the chamber. All the contact surfaces still need to mate up squarely.

Yes this is a Criterion pre-fit prechambered barrel. I was going to buy a replacement nut. could you quote me a price thru PM?

Kevin - Glad to hear that things are moving along. I've been holding on to a few projects that need your attention. As soon as the whitetail season is over I'll drop you a line.

Charlie - NY

Would you work on a Mauser. Rebarrel and build a stock change safety to a Winchester style

Kevin, Good to have you back on the forum, I gather by reading this thread that most guys on this forum already know you well but for those few who don't. Kevin has been super patient with me and has answered all of my dumb questions while I was trying to figure out what I wanted him to build for me.
Thanks Kevin,
Curt - Peru

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.