Montana x-bows illegal

I have never despised bow hunters for wounding more animals. We have too many issues these days already and plenty of people/media to try to turn against each other. I agree with you, to each his own way. If you're a hunter you're good with me!!
I would have to disagree with the comment about bowhunters wounding more animals. I think that probably comes from the rifle hunters being out there after the archery seasons and just finding them. If the bow hunters followed the rifle hunters how many dead or wounded do you think they would find. I hunt archery and rifle so no bias here just my opinion.
I have never despised bow hunters for wounding more animals. We have too many issues these days already and plenty of people/media to try to turn against each other. I agree with you, to each his own way. If you're a hunter you're good with me!!

I'm a100% disabled Veteran and Montana resident. I dont consider myself old (59) but with age comes the realization there are things one can no longer do. Personally I was so looking forward to retiring and taking up bow hunting; however, injuries prevent me from even coming close to drawing a bow. Hell, I was happy I could shoot a shotgun and rifle. Bow hunting is out of the question for me and it sucks but it is what it is.

I'm a100% disabled Veteran and Montana resident. I dont consider myself old (59) but with age comes the realization there are things one can no longer do. Personally I was so looking forward to retiring and taking up bow hunting; however, injuries prevent me from even coming close to drawing a bow. Hell, I was happy I could shoot a shotgun and rifle. Bow hunting is out of the question for me and it sucks but it is what it is.
First of all , Thank you for your service! Second, you as a resident, would have every right to petition your state for exceptions and I don't think people would have the same reaction as to the OP!

Last edited:
I look across the board as to how some of these laws have changed so much.
Muzzle loaders have gotten sooooo far of track it is ridiculous.
Then I have seen primitive rifle, a break open action single shot with a hammer, limited by cartridge, WTH?
Xbow is it archery or "other"? Here I believe it is allowed in both archery and firearms season.
I applaud Montana for sticking to the basics.

Texas I believe has a strict definition for muzzleloaders....but I don't know much abouth them

TPWD definition:
Muzzleloader Only White-tailed Deer Season
A muzzleloader is any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.
[h2][/h2]

Be interesting to see how this plays out, there was a lawsuit filed suing FWP over this even though it has already been proven that the draw lock is ADA compliant.

I definitely get it based on how Montana residents are feeling about this thread. No different than all the aholes from Utah and other non-residents who think its their job to dictate resident license quotas, regulations, and game management philosophy's in Wyoming...

At the end of the day we're all hunter's..
If we don't stick together the anti's will curtail our pursuits…..
I would like to think that true but when a NR wants to sue another state to fit his purpose i gotta balk at that, especially since there's plenty of states that will already suite his needs. I dont care for the sue happy anyway.

I would like to think that true but when a NR wants to sue another state to fit his purpose i gotta balk at that, especially since there's plenty of states that will already suite his needs. I dont care for the sue happy anyway.
That's a fact. I love Montana and their generous season dates. Everyone I met hunting there is awesome as well. Thinking someone's first reaction is to sue the state, for not catering to absolutely everybody, bothers me alot. If you don't like it, don't go there. That's why I'm never moving to Califor....... oh nevermind 🙁

I am only 80% disabled veteran, and we are the same age. I know what you mean about the ability to draw. 9 years ago, I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. I had to drop my draw weight from 65 LBS to 52 LBS. Last June, I had my 2nd rotator cuff surgery on the same shoulder and have not done any strengthening exercises yet, so archery season was out for this year, but there is always next year and rifle season. My goal is to be able to draw 55 LBS comfortably for next year.

Ed