Montana x-bows illegal

Sorry about the disablement what ever that may be, I wouldn't wish that on anybody but sounds like another frivoulous law suit to me. A pay off for feeling sorry for yourself. Sorry don't mean to offend but that's the way it looks and sounds.

My simplistic response to the original post:

If you can't draw a bow anymore just bring a video camera and enjoy all that nature has to offer. Firearm season usually follows the bow season (in most places) and you'll be right back in the swing of things.

So many good options for American sportsmen but lawyering up isn't one of them.

ya that`s right just tell the old handi cap hunters stay home , your day with age and health will happen ! there is no reason why with some restrictions like 60 years of age with proven permanent handi-cap health issues x-bows could be allowed in Montana during the archery season . my question to the hunters with no handi-caps why doesn`t Montana make you prove your proficiency with a bow or rifle to be able to use that game harvest tool or be allowed to hunt ? while i was hunting in Montana in the past with a bow and / or rifle i seen some hunters that had very limited skills and who were very unsafe too on public land .

Last edited:
it appears many of you younger bowhunters don`t understand what may happen to you when you do get old and have a handi-cap ,someday some of you may get hurt and handi-capped, it may get so bad that being able to walk " like has been mentioned" down a sidewalk when your crippled feels good . don`t forget we all live in America ,we all are hunters with hunting tools and Montana is a state in America not a different country , some of us have worked hard and got hurt but we paid our share of taxes in our live time . i am 68 years of age now have hunted Montana many years and know how to kill elk its just my body is now handi -capped for bow hunting in the nicest time of year " when the elk bugle ". maybe some day you will understand ,i bet Trump would ? that`s why i voted for President Tr

I'm not referring to ALL non-residents. Some are great people who are respectful hunters and stewards of the environment. But you should see some of the morons we get here every year. I've seen everything from people accidentally shooting other hunters to poaching to trashed camp sites to trespassing and many other things. But the craziest thing I remember was one year these idiots shot 2 pack mules out in a private field thinking they were filling their cow elk tags. So completely retarded they even field dressed the mules and brought them through the game check station happy as pigs in crap thinking they had a successful elk hunt in Montana. The wardens couldn't believe their eyes.

If you respect our land, abide by our rules and regulations, and hunt responsibly then I have no problem with that. I hope you enjoy your hunt

LeddSlinger, one doesn't have to go to Montana to experience what you written here. If you want to see this crap first hand, up and personal and at its finest try booking a trip in with an outfitter who will take in 25-35 hunters in a week. I black bear hunt in Maine. Two years ago my son and I hunted with an outfitter who had 22 hunters from (let's just say another state and leave it at that!!) These guys came with a 25 foot enclosed trailer, they had 72-74 cases of beer, plus a bunch of hard stuff. These guys drank from the time they got up until the time that they went to bed, 1:30-2:30 A.M.. Many of this crew wounded a lot of animals. Of course the outfitter and his wife also helped consume some of this free beer; and....we will never hunt with this outfitter again. Fortunately they sold that place after that hunt with them. I feel bad for the new owners because now they are trying to live down the mess that the previous owners left them. One guy shot a sow with cubs through the hind end, the only reason it was found was due to the fact that the bow hunter shot the animal through the back leg and severed an artery that caused it to bleed out. Then there was all of the garbage that they left around the camp. There's slob hunters no matter where you go.

LeddSlinger, one doesn't have to go to Montana to experience what you written here. If you want to see this crap first hand, up and personal and at its finest try booking a trip in with an outfitter who will take in 25-35 hunters in a week. I black bear hunt in Maine. Two years ago my son and I hunted with an outfitter who had 22 hunters from (let's just say another state and leave it at that!!) These guys came with a 25 foot enclosed trailer, they had 72-74 cases of beer, plus a bunch of hard stuff. These guys drank from the time they got up until the time that they went to bed, 1:30-2:30 A.M.. Many of this crew wounded a lot of animals. Of course the outfitter and his wife also helped consume some of this free beer; and....we will never hunt with this outfitter again. Fortunately they sold that place after that hunt with them. I feel bad for the new owners because now they are trying to live down the mess that the previous owners left them. One guy shot a sow with cubs through the hind end, the only reason it was found was due to the fact that the bow hunter shot the animal through the back leg and severed an artery that caused it to bleed out. Then there was all of the garbage that they left around the camp. There's slob hunters no matter where you go.
Yeah the total disrespect some people have is crazy. I don't think I'll ever understand it. And there's residents here that are the same way so it's not just NR hunters. Sucks because when it gets bad enough for the authorities to crack down, it's not always just the dirt bags that get in trouble, sometimes everyone has to pay the price and lose hunting privileges and access to certain areas.

Last edited:
Montana in the past with a bow and / or rifle i seen some hunters that had very limited skills and who were very unsafe too on public land
You obviously haven't read the laws, if you can't prove a previous bow license then you have to take a class.
Going back to my original question WHY IN HE!! DID YOU PUT IN FOR MONTANA IN THE FIRST PLACE KNOWING THE LAWS, OR DID YOU JUST NOW FIND OUT NO CROSSBOWS. Quite crying theres nobody to blame but yourself

Last edited:
enough said your WRONG ! and foolish the majority wants us to fight amongst ourselves they hate all hunting , so when you throw us old handi-cap bowhunters under the bus they say thank you and smile .

This topic has been wayyyyyy overplayed. In the overall scheme of things crossbows and hunters who can't use a regular draw bow is just really not a big issue. In NY you can probably use a crossbow if you're disabled but I never looked into it. When the time came that I could no longer draw my Matthews I just concentrated on hunting with a muzzleloader and precision rifles.

If I was hell bent on using a crossbow I'd use one during an appropriate season. If you can't use a crossbow in one state then just hunt where you can. All this back & forth is just silly IMO.

I respect each state's right to set regulations. A one size fits all approach just doesn't cut it. We've got lots of laws and regulations here that I'm not particularly fond of. That's partially why I hunt in other states and countries.

The way @Twolf behaves I believe he is neither a hunter nor disabled. I think he is just an agitator. Or just a "me" generation. He claims he wants to hear the elk bugle....no licence needed for that. He wants to hunt, when he wants to hunt, with what he wants to hunt! Get real or Be GONE! That is MHO and it won't change. We have here on this forum REAL disable veterans and Montana residents. They would have the right to petition their state to change the rules, yet the play with the rules and dont complaint. My hat off to you guys...Ed and all

Yeah the whole archery world can be a mess between traditional and modern compound bow archers. Then there's the guys who only hunt with archery that despise rifle hunters. We already have enough debate and issues on the matter as it sits right now so we don't need another issue with crossbows.

I personally hunt with whatever gives me the best advantage to harvest game and fill my tags. I archery hunt and rifle hunt. If the majority of "residents" in Montana were in agreement to allow crossbows during archery then I would probably use a crossbow myself. But as sportsmen we all have to respect each other's rules and laws that are set in place with each state and hunt accordingly. And there's no way to make everyone happy no matter how hard you try.

I think that the laws in Colorado where you have to wear solid orange as well as a solid orange hat during rifle seasons are overkill because I know it puts me at a disadvantage when trying to conceal myself in my surroundings. But if I want to rifle hunt in Colorado I'm not going to start complaining about it and try to change the way they do things in their state. I will just abide by their rules and regulations and try to have a great time doing what I love
I have never despised bow hunters for wounding more animals. We have too many issues these days already and plenty of people/media to try to turn against each other. I agree with you, to each his own way. If you're a hunter you're good with me!!

The way @Twolf behaves I believe he is neither a hunter nor disabled. I think he is just an agitator. Or just a "me" generation. He claims he wants to hear the elk bugle....no licence needed for that. He wants to hunt, when he wants to hunt, with what he wants to hunt! Get real or Be GONE! That is MHO and it won't change. We have here on this forum REAL disable veterans and Montana residents. They would have the right to petition their state to change the rules, yet the play with the rules and dont complaint. My hat off to you guys...Ed and all
I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of a guy on bowsite 10-12 years ago stirring up **** about a week long muzzleloader hunt right in the middle of the rut and archery season. Started a huge shitstorm thread exactly like this one. Turned out he worked for Knight Muzzleloaders. 😳

I think 98% of it boils down to nothing more than LAZINESS considering Twolf's biggest complaint is that the compound bow and draw lock is a "joke to carry". If anything he should be thankful that he's not so disabled he can't walk and carry a bow in the mountains.
i did purchase a draw lock system for my compound bow but that is very difficult to carry in the mountains and the draw lock is legal in Montana but its a real joke for a handi -cap person to carry and use.

Last edited:

Recent Posts