Montana x-bows illegal

I know you kinda got beat up and I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm going to ask you a question. Bear with me, say you weren't handicapped in a way that would prevent you from using a compound bow. Do you think that using a X-bow would give you an advantage over using a compound?

The issue as I see it is the "opinion" crossbows are so far superior than a compound. Which is rubbish. A 80-90% letoff on a compound in comparison to a recurve is far greater than a crossbow to a compound. Tell me the average bull kill with a bow isn't greater than 40+ yards? Mule deer probably farther? What skill are we talking about with these high letoff bows? Heck I feel confident out to 60+ with fixed blade broadheads. Don't want to hear crap on that, if you can competently tune a bow this is easily done. Just shoot right spine arrows and go kill at ranges similar to crossbow. I have a crossbow that was s retirement gift but I still prefer my Hoyt. I know what my Bowtech Stryker 380 can do but not realistically any farther than my Hoyt. If you are hunting out west, you are killing animals 40+ routinely with your string and stick bow. Even a caveman can do it.
Funny you say that because MT doesn't allow more than 80% let-off anyway. Montana hunting laws are pretty traditional and I don't thing they're changing anytime soon.

after 55 years as a bowhunter and 35 years as a pole climbing lineman for the power company my shoulders and back have made me disabled with 4 back surgeries and both shoulders rebuilt . yes i have a draw lock for my bow its a joke to use plus now the bow is hard to carry and weighs more too and yes a x-bow would have been better for my use. but i will use the draw lock system ,just remember these thoughts when you get old and are disabled this could be you with some health problems ? alot of the land in Montana where the elk are is federal land not state land . maybe the best way i see to get this x bow law/rule change is ask the ranchers of Montana they make the real rules for the DNR in Montana . my dear friend is a Montana resident frontline wounded Viet Nam Marine VET. with a shoulder that got badly wounded next to a mortar when it blew up ,he cant handle a bow anymore but he sure wished he could also use a x bow during the archery season. >to you new younger generation bowhunters your wrong about x bows for the handi -cap , but when you get old with health issues i bet then you will need and want to use a x bow ?

i just will start asking Montana ranchers about how to change this x bow law, ranchers will listen better .
I have nothing against crossbows. Never once did I say that I did. What I don't appreciate is the way you worded your first post with a cocky attitude stating you might come at our state with a lawsuit because your feelings were hurt and thought we were discriminating against you. That's what I have a problem with! That is nothing more than a typical liberal left wing approach and we will not stand for it!

If you want to go about trying to get a law changed in a civil manner and can convince the majority of resident Montanans to agree with your proposal and attend FWP meetings to give input and attempt to get it implemented into our regulations then I don't have a problem with that. That way it becomes a decision for Montana made by Montanans.

We really don't need hunters bashing hunters. I can appreciate the fact that MOST states let disabled people use a crossbow during archery season. It hasn't always been that way.

A cross bow is superior to a compound bow. Yes, with enough practice, a person with a compound bow can probably out shoot a cross bow. But most people don't have the time or ambition to shoot that much. It's also a challenge to draw a bow when eye to eye with your prey,and that challenge is the biggest advantage of the cross bow. Regardless, we can't afford to fight among ourselves, we have enough problems with the antis without fighting each other.

I have never been to Montana. I have handicapped plates but never park in handicap parking spaces because I know there are people that need it more. It just bothers me when people from another state try to tell a state they are "guests" how to do things. You re a guest, behave like a guest and respects the rules. Want to change the rules? Move there and change them. Its my opinion. Not just about hunting, its about any subject.

I have nothing against crossbows. Never once did I say that I did. What I don't appreciate is the way you worded your first post with a cocky attitude stating you might come at our state with a lawsuit because your feelings were hurt and thought we were discriminating against you. That's what I have a problem with! That is nothing more than a typical liberal left wing approach and we will not stand for it!

If you want to go about trying to get a law changed in a civil manner and can convince the majority of resident Montanans to agree with your proposal and attend FWP meetings to give input and attempt to get it implemented into our regulations then I don't have a problem with that. That way it becomes a decision for Montana made by Montanans.
Well said!

Ed

My whole point has nothing to do with Montana at all just the thought there is a HUGE disparity between compounds and crossbows. Every bowhunter I know has kills out to 40+ which is not atypical for a "bowhunter". If you west you are definitely killing at distance. The skill level need has decreased with improved shootability of compounds, arrow technology and of course broadheads. Lets not kid ourselves compounds are string and cedar arrows.

in Montana x-bows are illegal to hunt with during the archery season for everyone . as a handi -cap person with a valid doctor permit for Montana i still am not allowed to use a x-bow during archery season.
This is a true statement to date and exactly what Montanans decided for at this time. Out of staters DOES NOT make decisions for Montana, just like Montanans DOES NOT make decisions for Minnesota. As previously noted, I am a disabled veteran with 3 volumes of medical records for my 20+ military service, and I can easily get a doctor's permit. Still, it is not the current Montana law. In addition, I had carpal nerve release and cubital nerve release surgeries on my left hand in March and rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder in June. You will not hear me use this excuse for not being able to bow hunt. This is NOT about me, and I need to adapt to Montana's current laws/regs; I do NOT expect Montana to change because of me. BTW, no one is unsympathetic to your current physical/health condition.
Montana bowhunters association is against people with a disability ,
This is a false and unwarranted accusation.
Montana bowhunters association is against people with a disability ,i wonder if that is even legal in America to be against handi-cap people like that ? any attorneys out there ? it might be some easy money ?
Do you want support from fellow bowhunters? This is definitely NOT the best way to go about it.

Do you want to help change current Montana laws/regs on crossbow use during archery season? This is definitely NOT the best way to go about it.

I have traveled, hunted, and lived in various states and countries, and every time I come home to Montana, I get a better appreciation of the Big Sky Country just the way it is.

Cheers!

Ed

Last edited:
This is a true statement to date and exactly what Montanans decided for at this time. Out of staters DOES NOT make decisions for Montana, just like Montanans DOES NOT make decisions for Minnesota. As previously noted, I am a disabled veteran with 3 volumes of medical records for my 20+ military service, and I can easily get a doctor's permit. Still, it is not the current Montana law. In addition, I had carpal nerve release and cubital nerve release surgeries on my left hand in March and rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder in June. You will not hear me use this excuse for not being able to bow hunt. This is NOT about me, and I need to adapt to Montana's current laws/regs; I do NOT expect Montana to change because of me. BTW, no one is unsympathetic to your current physical/health condition.

This is a false and unwarranted accusation.

Do you want support from fellow bowhunters? This definitely NOT the best way to go about it.

Do you want to help change current Montana laws/regs on crossbow use during archery season? This definitely NOT the best way to go about it.

I have traveled, hunted, and lived in various states and countries, and every time I come home to Montana, I get a better appreciation of the Big Sky Country just the way it is.

Cheers!

Ed
Ed thank you for your service. Very well stated!

it appears many feel that even if we are old and handi-cap plus have to go thru the Montana drawing to be lucky enough to draw a big game license to hunt Montana > no x-bows. so we the old non-resident handi-cap bowhunter are a real threat yet to do better at taking to many legal game animals in Montana over younger resident bowhunters ? i never felt we were that much more skilled at archery , hunting and taking game animals with archery equipment even when we are older and handi - cap ? why not at least allow x-bows without wheels on limbs legal ? and outlaw compound bows " wheel bows" ? regular limbed x-bows have been around for many centuries, not only less than 50 years as a compound bow has been .

Because we're tired of all the idiots that come in and trash the place and screw up all the hunting.
The states are independent of each other so yes, the animals are property Montana residents and we share them with a specified amount of non-residents every year. Just the same as every other state.

Some of the states that were very conservative at one time have been ruined by residents that just roll over and expose their belly when outsiders come in and try to change their way of life.

I view Montana the same as my own home. If some outsider starts talking trash about our state, trying to tell us how things should be done here, or threatening us with cry baby spineless lawsuits, to me that's exactly the same as coming on to my personal property and saying the same thing.
Not trying to steer away from the OP, but this sentiment is garbage. And as someone who hunts multiple states every year, spending thousands of my hard earned dollars in your state I might add, I'm sick of being called an "idiot" or that we non-residents "screw up your hunting". Last time I checked Montana received more than $9.3 billion in federal aid. That's not including all the revenue us non-residents contribute to your state's economy.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you being protective of your state. I don't want people from outside my state telling me how to live in mine either. I'm just sick of being looked down like I'm doing something wrong when all I want to do is hunt.

Bang your head.gif

Not trying to steer away from the OP, but this sentiment is garbage. And as someone who hunts multiple states every year, spending thousands of my hard earned dollars in your state I might add, I'm sick of being called an "idiot" or that we non-residents "screw up your hunting". Last time I checked Montana received more than $9.3 billion in federal aid. That's not including all the revenue us non-residents contribute to your state's economy.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you being protective of your state. I don't want people from outside my state telling me how to live in mine either. I'm just sick of being looked down like I'm doing something wrong when all I want to do is hunt.
your right we as non-residents are looked down on but the truth is i have seen and heard more problems with residents of their home state ,just ask a game warden .

Recent Posts