Montana x-bows illegal

Nope, I completely disagree that a crossbow is a distinct advantage over your compound bows with wonderful newfangled sights that you can use to consistently shoot the nocks off of your previously shot arrows. I used those only for target shooting. My recurve served me well for hunting but I wouldn't take it during rifle season either. Just like I see no reason to take my crossbow rifle hunting. It's not an equivalent weapon! I'm already significantly disadvantaged...why add more to it... If I'm not welcome to hunt in Montana, then I can understand and respect that by taking my license fees elsewhere. I have no issue with anyone on their right to choose what their state does. 🙂 Happy hunting! (At least we're still hunting!)
Let me ask you a question. Can you sit on the ground, leaning back against a tree along your favorite deer trail with your crossbow resting on your knee, while your looking down your scope, with it already fully "cocked", and your finger on the trigger and shoot without drawing it back. Yes, you or most can. Can you do that with any bow? NO you can't! Nuff said and we can respectfully agree to disagree.

What I find hilarious here in PA is that it's not legal to use percussion or inline muzzleloaders in flintlock season due to it being a primitive weapon season, but crossbows are fine in regular archery season. Crossbows take absolutely no skill to use and are absolutely unfair to regular archery people.

My father and I both have bad shoulders and can no longer pull our compound bows, he decided to get a crossbow. Went over to his house, picked it up, and drilled a 2" group of 3 at 50 yards having never shot it before. Are they fun, yes, should they be grouped in with other primitive hunting seasons, absolutely not.

What I find hilarious here in PA is that it's not legal to use percussion or inline muzzleloaders in flintlock season due to it being a primitive weapon season, but crossbows are fine in regular archery season. Crossbows take absolutely no skill to use and are absolutely unfair to regular archery people.
And so are compounds. They take far less skill to use than a recurve or a longbow. Again its a technology that is now accepted and was not at one time. I can teach a person to shoot a compound in one hour to be able to hit a kill zone easily at 20 yards. That would take a very long time to obtain that skill with a recurve or a longbow. You still have to get close to an animal without being detected.

To all veterans, Thank YOU! To disable people, I appreciate your struggles and support all legitimate efforts and needs. I was disable for a while and I can understand. To all agitators, stay in your state. If you don't like the rules in a state, you have two choices. 1) Move there and try to change them as a resident. 2) Stay away! How does everyone feel when the Europeans tell us to give up our guns? No difference here. It is for the residents of each state to decide.

I don't know how many people noticed, no response from OP.

Peace to all, good shooting and good hunting!

Let me ask you a question. Can you sit on the ground, leaning back against a tree along your favorite deer trail with your crossbow resting on your knee, while your looking down your scope, with it already fully "cocked", and your finger on the trigger and shoot without drawing it back. Yes, you or most can. Can you do that with any bow? NO you can't! Nuff said and we can respectfully agree to disagree.
Be happy you don't have the disability issues that I have. I can't even sit with my back against a tree for more than a few minutes at a time. My back brace is way too uncomfortable for that. And if I sat on the ground these days, I probably wouldn't be able to get up without some help. And I'm not even 60.

Btw, as a fairly poor young man, I couldn't afford to buy a stand and they disallowed putting nails in trees, so I often hunted from my knees with my recurve, that I drew, held and fired just fine. I'm really not sure what the argument is about the ground thing is.

Btw, not mad at you, I mentioned several times that you're entitled to keep your state any way you like it. Look forward to hunting wherever, whenever!

So how do you know they didn't have issues? I know of two people that are younger, in pretty good shape and would have a hard time with a bow. I had issues with my shoulder that didn't allow me to pull my bow back for about 2 years before my surgery and I work out regularly. Was your friend making assumptions?
I myself just had the humility to ask my VA doctor to evaluate me for a disabled archer crossbow permit in 2 states. I'm in my 30's and from outward appearances, wouldn't seem to have anything "wrong" with me. I do have extensive nerve damage in my hands from being shot and blown up by an RPG. I know many will see me and look down on what I'm doing, but little do they know that I directly had my hands (pun intended) in the freedom that allows them to be so judgemental etc. We always want to point out (complain) how someone else has it so much easier, or is cheating in some way, but we don't always know the entire story. I'm sure some people abuse the system, but most don't. And yes this will get me out in the field many more days than I would have been able to.

Semper Fi

I am looking at this as dispassionately as possible as my opinion of bow hunting is going to be left out of this.
This thread has been a fascinating read. I have been thinking critically for both sides of this issue and trying to stay as neutral as possible. this is what I have come up with as an argument just looking at the implements themselves. The cross bow was designed pre-1800's, it is classified as a primitive weapon in every industry except in certain states with reguards to hunting where it is classified as a "modern" weapon. the cross bow pre-dates the black powder era. So what is it doing grouped in with modern smokeless rifle season or black powder season when it should be in bow season? like everything; we have improved every hunting device on the planet. our black powder firearms are far more accurate, our bows are far more accurate, our rifles are far more accurate, the cross bow is far more accurate than when it came out. with all this improvement why is the cross bow not grouped with the long bow, compound bow, and re-curve? it is still a bow. you can put a red dot on most any modern bow made today. I personally picked up a compound bow and shot at 100 yards a 8" group by the end of a 30 minute practice period. now would you group a compound with a modern rifle and restrict it to rifle season? I have seen 14 year olds pick up a black powder rifle and shoot exceptional groups.. now are we to restrict that black powder to modern smokeless season? where does this argument end? when are we going to group bows with bow season, black powder with black powder season, and modern rifle with it's season? when will we stop bickering, grow brains and balls, and tell the Department of wildlife and all governing bodies that bows in bow season, black powder in black powder season, and modern smokeless in it's season. no exceptions, no exclusions. every style of hunting has it's season and there should be no exceptions/exclusions to the utensil that is used in their specific season.
As stated before, The modern cross bow is a modern bow just like the modern compound, the modern re-curve, and modern long bows. the only improvement to the cross bow has been a modern sighting system. you can say the same for the re-curve, long, and compound.

Be happy you don't have the disability issues that I have. I can't even sit with my back against a tree for more than a few minutes at a time. My back brace is way too uncomfortable for that. And if I sat on the ground these days, I probably wouldn't be able to get up without some help. And I'm not even 60.

Btw, as a fairly poor young man, I couldn't afford to buy a stand and they disallowed putting nails in trees, so I often hunted from my knees with my recurve, that I drew, held and fired just fine. I'm really not sure what the argument is about the ground thing is.

Btw, not mad at you, I mentioned several times that you're entitled to keep your state any way you like it. Look forward to hunting wherever, whenever!
My point is that a crossbow gives significant advantages over any bow. Like a stock and you don't have to hold the string back. Anyways…… I'm out.

I myself just had the humility to ask my VA doctor to evaluate me for a disabled archer crossbow permit in 2 states. I'm in my 30's and from outward appearances, wouldn't seem to have anything "wrong" with me. I do have extensive nerve damage in my hands from being shot and blown up by an RPG. I know many will see me and look down on what I'm doing, but little do they know that I directly had my hands (pun intended) in the freedom that allows them to be so judgemental etc. We always want to point out (complain) how someone else has it so much easier, or is cheating in some way, but we don't always know the entire story. I'm sure some people abuse the system, but most don't. And yes this will get me out in the field many more days than I would have been able to.

Semper Fi
Thank you your service Marine! I agree that it's not easy asking for help after being the best of the best in a combat zone. I fought the disabled label long and hard too. It's not easy to accept when everyday was a workout day up until then. Enjoy your time in the woods! It helps your health for sure!

Sorry if I'm a little harsh. But it's these types of people with a feeling of self-entitlement that ruin places like Montana. Same thing when Southern Californians move here then want everything to change to the way they had it in Southern California. If you don't like how our state does business, then leave.

Looks like the OP is from Minnesota. If Minnesota allows him to use a crossbow, then he should stay there. Hunting in Montana is a "PRIVILEGE" for non-residents. It is in no way shape or form their right. I attend the fish and game meetings as much as I can and give input. I don't care either way if handicapped people can use a crossbow or not, but nothing ticks me off more than when some non-resident wants to come into Montana and change how we do things.
I hunt eastern North Carolina and don't bow hunt. With that said, I'm pick'n up what you're putt'n down. I hate when people from the northeast corridor come down south and try to change how we do things.

This is going to sound really stupid. With that said, what is so special about an xbow? What makes it different from any other crossbow?