Montana/Wyoming trip

wasskeet

No hunting trip (this time anyway), my wife and I are planning taking trip to see at least some of Yellowstone and? Our initial advice from other friends (those who have been only once) is to fly into Bozeman and out of? What things are do not miss, things that are do not bother and any advice how to approach this visit will be much appreciated - Thank you ahead of time for your experienced viewpoints!

I'd fly into SLC, rent a vehicle and head North from there. Jackson Hole, Teton NP, Yellowstone, you could drive through Montana to Glacier NP as well. Not sure how much time you're allowing but you could hit them all! There's plenty of fishing and sight seeing all through those areas.

I should have mentioned duration and season - we have one week, maybe another day or two if needed. Our plan is last week of July or first of August. How important would reservations for accommodations along the way be?

Took a fall trip to Yellowstone for many years to fish for big browns making their spawning run up the Madison. We flew into West Yellowstone for several years but switched to flying into Bozeman. Make sure you get reservations for a place to stay NOW, everything fills up fast and is expensive. I'm not one to recommend doing the "tourist" thing but you really need to see as many of the major park attractions as you can. The park is breathtaking, you'll enjoy it.

Lots of good advice given. The only other thing you might want to know about Buffalo Bill firearms museum in Cody, WY.

As for Yellowstone Park, we tended to stay in West Yellowstone, MT

If you have time you may want to visit the National Museum of Military Vehicles.

6419 US Highway 26
Dubois, WY 82513

Open Wednesday through Sunday.

Wyoming's Newest Museum.
Well worth your time.

We flew into SD from Michigan a few years back and rented a vehicle to drive out to Yellowstone. We made stops at Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument, the site of Custer's last stand, Devils Tower, Cody WY, The Winchester Firearms Museum, and enjoyed some beautiful scenery along the way and did some whitewater rafting on the way back just inside of Montana. It was great trip for the whole family.

We did the opposite loop. Flew into Missoula, stayed at Paradise MT. Soaked in the hot springs and did a few day trips. Bison National refuge, fished the Clark float trip, over to Whitefish lake Trout then into Glacier for a few days. The Tetons are this August. Yellowstone to follow, probably a week there...

We did a couple days in Yellowstone last summer. It's all neat, but we agreed our favorite was the Yellowstone Grand Canyon. Really something else. We also got to see a momma and cub grizzly. And a couple black bears. We drove out and stayed in a cabin between Cody and the east entrance.

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and my grandson

20200614_165445.jpg