Montana Wolf Hunting News

Maybe - just maybe - the general policy makers are starting to see the light. Let's hope it isn't a train.

Now if we could just get Montana SB42 repealed or amended we would have a real chance to rebuild our elk/deer herd in some areas.

Maybe - just maybe - the general policy makers are starting to see the light. Let's hope it isn't a train.

Now if we could just get Montana SB42 repealed or amended we would have a real chance to rebuild our elk/deer herd in some areas.

I hope you MT folks see some change for the better. For us non-residents what is SB42?
I'm also glad all predators are being talked about, but in the last line of the article the use of the phrase "hysteria over wolves" by FWP commissioner Bob Ream may be an insight into how seriously he takes the issue.

Right now we are loosing more elk and deer to big cats in this area. But the wolves have just moved in. I can go find a fresh cat kill about anyday I want.

I hunted the wolves pretty hard this past season. But didnt really get serious about it until after elk season closed. Seems to me the wolves are getting smart fast and now you will work hard or simply get lucky to get close to one.

Reminds me of an old saying. " Best time to shoot a wolf,... is when you see it"

Jeff

better. For us non-residents what is SB42?

SB42 is a Montana Senate bill that was passed in I believe 2004. This bill mandates the Montana Game and Fish to meet pre-established game quotas by hunting district. It obviously is agriculture driven but it also ties G&F's hands.

What the bottom line is: we have areas that have had the elk herd reduced to it's lowest numbers ever BUT they are at quota and must remain there by Mt. law.

I would guess that under current status - if for some reason every wolf, cat, bear or whatever predator left tomorrow - by law the G&F has to keep the game numbers at these pre-established quotas. What they have historically done is the use of cow/doe tags, damage hunts, more emphasis on kids/handicap hunts etc..

When you are required by law to keep herds at a certain level and throw in predators or a bad winter etc., or combination of all you, have a recipe for a wreck.

HarperC, I think you may have misinterpreted the "hysteria over wolves" comment. He is referring to the common statewide enthusiasm for "managing" the critters. He takes them VERY seriously, I assure you.

HarperC, I think you may have misinterpreted the "hysteria over wolves" comment. He is referring to the common statewide enthusiasm for "managing" the critters. He takes them VERY seriously, I assure you.
Thanks for the correction, I did interpret it as downplaying hunters concerns over the wolf's impact on big game animals. Actually I agree with both Broz, and some of the game officials that in many areas the wolf isn't he biggest source of predation. Black Bears and Lions in many area's have bigger impact on survival. I was especially impressed the FWP folks are looking at ways of managing animals with big ranges like the lion.

Brox, sp6x6 and others in Montana.
Just got finished reading this, in Predator Extreme's wolf issue. Don't know if it's on the shelf, I got it through Grandview Outdoors online stuff. A University of Idaho study, collared 40 lions. 3 directly killed by wolves, 1 by a grizzly, and 7 starved to death, most likely secondary to being driven off kills. The study demonstrated this is happening frequently. This was in NW Montana.
There has always been a difference of opinion on how much a big cat kills, based on the amount it could possibly eat. Most of us that have chased big cats know how much scavengers etc. take, and the Lion needs to kill again. Wolves have apparently driven this need into overdrive.
At any rate this is one of the Wolf lovers current drums to beat, lions are killing more game than wolves, here is a big reason why.
Quite frankly I knew this happened on occasion, but this magnitude shocked me.

Very good post Harper, You are a treasure to the Wolf Eradication program!

Grizzles in Yellowstone-- the biggest old bruins, are now known to not hibernate much or at all, as they can make a living by following wolf packs around and busting them off the kill and feasting for themselves. The pack wont take on the biggest bears, and just sulk away!

from the Gazette this morning:

MISSOULA — This fall's Montana wolf hunt will face critics who say it's too extreme and not extreme enough.

State Fish, Wildlife and Parks officials got a taste of the divide on Tuesday during a Missoula listening session. While not ready for formal public comments, Region 2 Supervisor Mack Long invited the roughly 50 people in the audience to lay out the issues that should be considered. They obliged.

"It's not too late to turn things around, but we've got to do it quick," Long said. "This is one of the most dynamic times we've ever seen in wildlife management."

At stake are proposed changes to how hunters can pursue wolves and mountain lions in coming years.

The FWP Board of Commissioners is accepting written comments on the wolf plan until June 25. But the lion feedback must be delivered by this Friday.
Region 2 wildlife manager Mike Thompson said the agency hasn't yet proven it can move the numbers of wolves up and down reliably.

Hunters failed to reach the 220-wolf kill quota in last year's hunt, and a minimum estimate of 653 wolves prowl the Rocky Mountain portion of Montana. That's up from about 256 wolves in 2005.

The proposed wolf hunt changes include an archery season in the late summer, a slightly longer general rifle season, trapping, and possibly the permission of electronic calling and three tags per hunter. Those last two would require law changes by the Legislature.

That wasn't enough for several speakers in the audience. Some suggested the state allow aerial shooting by state or federal authorities to reduce wolf numbers.

Others wanted to allow snare traps, which have proven successful in Idaho and Alaska.

Thompson said snares also tend to catch too many non-target animals besides wolves, so the state preferred to use the more challenging methods.
But others in the audience criticized all trapping as inhumane and uncivilized.
They questioned why public trappers got 48 hours to check their traps, while state and federal trappers usually have to monitor theirs every 24 hours or less.

Comments on both wolf and lion hunting proposals may be mailed to FWP, Wildlife Bureau, Attn: Public Comment, POB 200701, Helena, Mont. 59620-0701.

I read a Montana FW&P comment the other day that I have not been able to process. Regarding elk predation by wolves "entire herds are near extinction". So the question is how do you respond to that. 1) Close seasons in those areas. 2) Go on as is, cause why does it matter if wolves or a hunter kills the last one. I'm leaning towards 1 as it changes the amount revenue going to a group I consider adversarial, and it brings home to folks that have been sitting on the sidelines this is a real problem.
I haven't hunted Montana for a long time so I'm not directly impacted. What do you Montana folks think of the issue. Are elk quotas being adjusted appropriately by FW&P to reflect the situation on the ground?

hunters in montana had shot more than 160 gray wolves as the season came to a close across most fo the state wednesday a sharp increase from the last hunt in 2009 but still short of the state's 220 animal quota.

I can't remember if I am spelling it right but a couple of grains of timic in veinna sausages placed in known wolf den areas will do the trick. These non native pest need to be eleminated! **** the Canandians for shipping their problems to us.