Montana unit 270-50

300stw

wife drew 270-50, and we live 600 miles away on the other side of the state,,,,

any ideas when and where to scout, i have researched some, got maps coming and will be making phone calls

Great tag, should be an easy hunt for you! I grew up hunting that area for elk. It was not uncommon during the rut to see 2-3 bucks over 180" with a couple hundred yards of the main road. Where are you looking to hunt? id start with the sleeping child basin and work my way toward darby. Maybe spend some time on deer mountain with good glass

I live just north of that district. and my girlfriends little brother drew the same tag so i will be up there hunting with him a lot this year. From what i hear the best way to hunt it is cover a lot of ground and do a lot of glassing. I would look into the rye creek area two there is a lot of private ground where they get to be massive due to no hunting pressure. Also the south side of rye creek up moonshine gulch is a good place.
Good luck maybe ill see you up there!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.