Montana Rifle Company modifications

VTbluegrass

I have a MRC X2 in 7RM and before I post for sale sell I exploring all options because I really do like the MRC action and the dang thing shoots lights out. But I would prefer it be a true boomer STW or be sold to fund something else. Problem rechambering to STW is max mag length is just under 3.4 is a block in the mag limiting length so I assume it may be possible to rechamber for the larger cartridge.
Has anyone had work done on MRC actions or this type of work done before. Most of my gunsmith work was keeping old guns going not major mods.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 92
That mag block can be removed. You might be able to have a Wyatts extended box installed, but I'd have to check on that. The MRC long actions were all the same length until you moved up to the PH action. May have to shorten the bolt stop, too.
That's basically what I was thinking. I do like the action, cycles empty brass just like loaded, just not the chambering. Only local smiths I have found seem to all be working on 700's or just fitting barrels on custom actions that are 700 clones. Don't seem to have a CRF action anywhere in their past and I'd prefer not to be the first.
Rechambering and some mag work are in my wheelhouse of affordability.

That mag block can be removed. You might be able to have a Wyatts extended box installed, but I'd have to check on that. The MRC long actions were all the same length until you moved up to the PH action. May have to shorten the bolt stop, too.
This☝🏽
I have both types MRC actions here and will try and get photos of the differences later. Mag/follower, bolt stop, ejector.

FYI they use the Mauser collar so no extractor cut like a Win 70.

If you decide to part with it I may be interested but I'd keep it if I were you.

When I went to gunsmith school 30yrs ago we "cut our teeth" on Mauser '98s. CRF. Mausers were 'cheap' then, you could buy a 1909 Argentine from Century Arms for $100. I still build quit a few classic customs using Mauser 98s for clients. Many of my personal hunting rifles are built on Mausers or Springfields. Pre-64 Win 70s and MRCs are in my "wheel house". I have a SA MRC action I have plans for, hopefully in my near future. And, I have a left hand magnum MRC LA to barrel for a client in 7STW. That job just came in last week. But gotta' kick this crappy flu and finish up a laminate I have going before I get on that one.

Last edited:
Here are a few photos. I'll need to disassemble a rifle to show the shorter magnum length. The bare action is longer RUM length. I have three 7mm Rem/300 Win mag rifles (plus the bare RUM length in the photo) that are going to be 300 PRC.

Shorter ejector (RUM length)
20210421_202903.jpg

On the bolt stop length difference is on the bolt part. Regular mag left - RUM right
20210421_202734.jpg

Magazine full length - no block
20210421_202617.jpg

Last edited: