Montana or Wyoming mule deer hunting

Corvalliscory

I hope people aren't too close lipped about this, but i'm from oregon and my buddy and I are wanting to do a out of state mule deer hunt next year or the year after. Is there good opportunities for people wanting to do a diy hunt in one of those states without taking forever to draw? General season tags? Just wanting to try something different. Could maybe help someone out wanting to get a blacktail in trade? We both hunt hard and are pretty decent at glassing and shooting. Pm me if you're willing to share a little info. I've done some research, but want some more opinions since most people on here knowledgeable.
Thanks!

I live across the mountain from you in Bend. I lived in Montana at one time and have hunted and guided in both Wyoming and Montana. I can give you a couple of names of people to contact in Montana, one is a outfitter I worked for a few years in eastern Montana the other is a rancher that has about 20000 acres in eastern Montana. Both are good places to hunt, I've killed more whitetails than mulies in that country, but I killed my 1st real good mulie on the rancher's place a few seasons ago. Shoot me a email and I'll be happy to give you a call. Don't know if this matters but I'm a Beaver fan.
Gator

First off, Go Beavers! I was kind of wanting a DIY mule deer hunt because I don't really have alot of extra money to spend on outfitters. I figure i'm a hard enough hunter and good enough glasser that I could make something happen on a DIY hunt. Thank you so much for the reply. I appreciate it alot.

There are lots of plenty of DIY hunt opportunities via Block Management Areas (BMAs) and easement programs. Some BMAs require a minimum of 24 hours to get the written permission and some just a sign in box. In addition, not advertised but if you call the regional office, they know ranchers (not part of BMA) that allows limited hunting with permission. There are also lots of state lands.

However, not to discourage you but the muley numbers declined for the last couple of years. Unless they open it up next year, muley does are off limits. We used to get over the counter surplus tags but this year just on some areas. In my area, the whitetails where affected by the blue tongue too.

Overall, even though the numbers are down, it is still far better than most states. :)

Good luck!

Ed

I have no desire to shoot a doe... A long ways away for a doe. I've never heard of blue tongue... hmmmm Thank you for all of that info!

Living in Ohio I admit I do not keep up with mule deer numbers nationwide. I do know there is a need for doe tags when it comes to whitetails. I've always felt that the overall number of mule deer does not justify hunting the does anywhere. You guys out west I'm sure will disagree with that, but keep in mind I'm only comparing overall whitetail #s to muley #s.

I've heard of hunters taking mule deer does and I always feel disappointed. I'm sure I'm off base but I've hunted out west for years. I never see the number of mule deer like I see whitetails on this end of the country.

Should I change my thinking?

I am a DIY hunter from WA that hunts Montana about every three years or so. I go to the east side for Antelope and Mule deer. Before i went the first time I did TONS of research and racked up lots of long distance bills but this was way before the interweb came into the picture. I can honestly say i have had better then 80% success on both over the years some years we hit the Mule deer right and others we do antelope. This coming fall i am taking my 13 yr old daughter for the first time to Montana provided we get drawn for Antelope. Put your research in if u want to PM me i can give u the ranchers name i hunt on there he has ALOT of acreage. His only stipulation is family hunts only the first three days and i am good with that the last time i went there were 2 family members hunting for the first day till noon he called me and it was all ours never saw another truck hunter or anything and he lets me camp on his land with my camper so all is good. GOOD LUCK

Living in Ohio I admit I do not keep up with mule deer numbers nationwide. I do know there is a need for doe tags when it comes to whitetails. I've always felt that the overall number of mule deer does not justify hunting the does anywhere. You guys out west I'm sure will disagree with that, but keep in mind I'm only comparing overall whitetail #s to muley #s.

I've heard of hunters taking mule deer does and I always feel disappointed. I'm sure I'm off base but I've hunted out west for years. I never see the number of mule deer like I see whitetails on this end of the country.

Should I change my thinking?

I would say this is because out west they can't support the numbers we have in the midwest, simply not enough available food year round

Tikkamike is from Wyoming and says you should hunt in Montana. I'm from Montana and say you should hunt in Wyoming.

If we were professional outfitters, our recommendations might be different.

Have you considered Canada???

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.