Montana Moose

Troutslayer

You are all welcome to share my joy as I found out today that I drew a moose tag in a very coveted region in Montana. I have applied for years and it looks like if I live through the summer I will get to hunt moose for the first time. They die easy right? That's what I have heard. I am thinking .300 Win Mag, 180 gr trophy bonded bearclaws, but I might step it up to 220 Gr. for elk as well this year so I might go that route. You guys that have hunted them before might be able to offer me some advice as this will be my first time. I have seen lots of shires moose but I'm going to spend some time at the B&C club and anywhere else I can see some mounts and get a feel for what a trophy head looks like.

I would most appreciate any advice on hunting tactics and anything else you guys may have learned along the way that might be helpful to me.

I can't find the actual book that the cover belongs to, but the cover says that the guy's name is Alfred J Goerg. In his book "Pacific and northwest hunting" he uses a 257 Roberts. The book was written in the 50's or 60's and the bullets werent great and if I remember right he took a 120gr Partition and made it a hollow point to about 117gr. He hunted in BC for moose and in his stories he only needed 2 shots once to kill a moose. Not the biggest caliber but I guess that most of it is hitting where you want to accuratly.

Mind you he was not shooting the ranges that people on here do with that rifle.

The book is great if you can find a copy.

Joe Oakes

Troutslayer,

Congratulations. I saw your post so I checed mine, I am not as fortunate as you. I'm just hoping I will stay alive long enough to draw one. Jealousy rears it's ugly head. I couldn't even live vicariosly through my daughter, she didn't draw either.

Once again, congrats. I hope you can take the time to get the one you want.

Steve

troutslayer Your post made me check my montana draw results and I too am going moose hunting in unit 100 I'll be using my 300 win.mag.Browning a-bolt::

Look for 10 or more points per side with a 44+ outside spread and a 2x2 foot box. Two foot inside and two foot high, usually puts you around 150BnC or higher. Moose ground shrink like crazy, also the wider the bull the higher he will score.
Click on this link and tell me if you would shoot this bull and what you think he would score
http://www.huntinco.com/video/m2.wmv

I tried to click your huntinco link but I can't see anything. Anyone know of a resource, an outfitters web page maybe that has a lot of pictures of shiras moose along with what they scored? I do know that my area had a light winter and an early spring which should grow some nice antlers.

In Alaska a lot of people said that moose weren't hard to kill, it was just hard to convince them they were dead.

The link worked for me...no idea of the score but early in the season looking for a trophy I would pass, but thats not me. BANG! Moose steaks for EVERYONE.

Troutslayer,
Congrats on your draw. You're one of the lucky ones I was thinking about when I saw that I was unsuccessful. I have a few friends that have drawn the last few years and I'd be happy to pick their brains for you regarding tactics, location, etc. Near as I can remember, locations were Libby area, West of Flathead, Bighole, and Snowcrest/Ruby. PM me if you need any info. Good luck and bang a biggun!
Whip

Talking with my father in law the other night, we got on the subject of moose in Montana. He got one a few years ago and said that the most valuable piece of info he got was that a FWP biologist told him that if you want a biggun, you have to go higher than the bottoms which everyone knows about. Find the moisture up high and that's where the big boys hang out. He ought to know, his is one to brag about.
Regards, MTTB

I'd say he's small all the way around (antlers and body).

Or maybe a big body and small antlers.

He needs a little more age on him to get a bigger rack.

But, I'm sorry to say (yeah right! he wouldn't get any older if I had the opportunity for a shot.

He looks as if he's been groomed for the dinner plate.

Also, nice video.

what time of year will you be hunting? calling season is a lot of fun. i've killed a doz or so and i don't think they're very hard to kill.my advice would be to just shoot them once in the chest. don't blast em 5 times cause it won't make much difference in how long it takes to fall over.the best place to shoot them is the upper neck or head. it's a very large target,doesn't mess up meat, and the meat is fantastic! learn how to call them. your family will get a kick out of your practicing.

moose draw

congrats on the draw. up here in Canada we get drawn every 2yrs. The cow moose I shot 2yrs ago was shot with a 270 - 130g Ballistic tips. I nailed her at 135 yds. Took her heart out. Biggest cow moose I ever shot. after gutting her,we weighed her on a truck scale -814 lbs. Not the size of the gun but where you put it. Good luck.

I'm really stoked about the upcomming season. I'm going to see how 200 gr. Trophy Bonded Bearclaws (Federal Factory) shoot out of my gun. I haven't had much luck with them in lighter weights so a trip to the range will tell. Season starts the 15th.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.