Monometal Bullet Choice for Elk 6.5 PRC

JMHO, but I'd choose one bullet, and stick with it for all your shots. Trying to make a last minute cartridge change in the heat of the moment is a recipe for failure. Again, JMHO.
To the credit of the OP, his hunt is in October, and it's now March. We've all seen posts on here when the hunt is two weeks out and the poster is asking for load info. The OP has plenty of time for load development and lots of range time to develop data.

To the credit of the OP, his hunt is in October, and it's now March. We've all seen posts on here when the hunt is two weeks out and the poster is asking for load info. The OP has plenty of time for load development and lots of range time to develop data.

And may still not be ready…..jus say'n! 🙀 Some of us overthink it a lot! 😁 memtb

I have a load for 156 bergers that ive taken out to 1100 yards (only have access to 650 currently) but like @membt I may be overthinking it as I have no experience with elk…only whitetail and mule deer.

Stick with what you know especially on a Supreme hunt. You can always try stuff on a regular hunt and compare. I can show graphic pictures on a "mono only" hunt that I had to comply with. It's something you want to compare someday. Lighter and faster is where monos shine.

Stick with what you know especially on a Supreme hunt. You can always try stuff on a regular hunt and compare. I can show graphic pictures on a "mono only" hunt that I had to comply with. It's something you want to compare someday. Lighter and faster is where monos shine.
Thats why I ordered the 124HH and will start load development next week….should be able to get 3300-3400 fps

Elk Hunt this Oct in NE New Mexico. Setup is Defiance XM action (3.24" mag length); 26" 1:8 Proof carbon barrel. Looking towards a monometal bullet.

Barnes 127 LRX
Badlands Bd-2 125
Hammer Hunter 124
PVA Cayuga 122

Shot range is generally inside 500 yards. Any thoughts on which of these would be better than others?
Are you hunting Vermejo Ranch? I think 99% of your shots will be under 300 yards.

Elk Hunt this Oct in NE New Mexico. Setup is Defiance XM action (3.24" mag length); 26" 1:8 Proof carbon barrel. Looking towards a monometal bullet.

Barnes 127 LRX
Badlands Bd-2 125
Hammer Hunter 124
PVA Cayuga 122

Shot range is generally inside 500 yards. Any thoughts on which of these would be better than others?
You forgot to mention what scope you will be using.

Another vote for Hammer Hunter 124 & the Badlands BD2 125 (in that order).

I have confirmed & trusted reports of both working well on elk. However, there are far more reports out there with the HH 124. Last time I spoke with Steve @ hammer, he mentioned that the 6.5mm HH 124 is their #1 selling bullet. Followed by the 7mm HH 143.

Those light mono's going fast are pretty darn deadly! Be sure to post your results here please:) Best of luck on your hunt!

I used a badlands 135 last year and it was a one and done from a 6.5-284 .. just under 3K muzzle velocity… shot was 150 yards slight quartering toward me
I have 1:8 twist so the 135 may not stabilize but I thought of them…from what ive been told overspinning is better for monos
You forgot to mention what scope you will be using.
Leupold mk5 5-25 Pr2-mil…same reticle as my comp rifle.

Another vote for Hammer Hunter 124 & the Badlands BD2 125 (in that order).

I have confirmed & trusted reports of both working well on elk. However, there are far more reports out there with the HH 124. Last time I spoke with Steve @ hammer, he mentioned that the 6.5mm HH 124 is their #1 selling bullet. Followed by the 7mm HH 143.

Those light mono's going fast are pretty darn deadly! Be sure to post your results here please:) Best of luck on your hunt!
Thank you!

Recent Posts