Monometal Bullet Choice for Elk 6.5 PRC

What are you worried about at close range? As I noted, my son harvested a deer at 100Y with 215 Berger out of a .300 WSM at 2850 FPS without any issues. Despite the close range, meat damage is minimal. Are you hunting NM DIY or guided?
I wish I still lived at my dads ranch. Every once in a while a cow dies. Would love to lift it up on a front end loader and fire some shots into the shoulder with match bullets. So much talk about pancaking but I wonder how many actually have seen it. I put a mechanical arrow through the shoulder of a bull, hard quartering toward me at 10 feet. Hard to believe a mechanical arrow doing 275fps can do what a bullet going 2800fps can't. Oh and the tip bent and that bull still made it about 4 feet.
8F35D4C9-1C05-4C03-8DA4-78BA61609E10.jpeg
D4741A8A-A315-4B8C-AE1E-D19CB27BF2F9.jpeg

I have done load development in the past with the 127 and was getting 3180fps with that. My normal load is berger 156 eol at 3010 but I worry about using them inside 100 yards. I was curious about the Hammers and Badlands as my understanding they both shed petals whereas the Lrx does not.
I believe only the hammers are "designed" To shed petals. Barnes and badlands will shed at very high velocity impacts, otherwise designed to have a typical mushroom.

The better question is, what is wrong with the 156 Berger at 3010 FPS?
I'm putting a 6.5 prc together on a long action and I'm going to run the 156gr bergers . The bergers have performed in my rifles with out a flaw from 190 yards on a Bear to 1244 yards on a Bull Elk !
No complaints from me on the Bergers .
Just Rum Man's 2 cents ! Your mileage may very ! 😎😎

Oh could you PM me your load data for that stated 3010 ft.per.sec!! That sounds perfect to me !

Rum Man

I'm putting a 6.5 prc together on a long action and I'm going to run the 156gr bergers . The bergers have performed in my rifles with out a flaw from 190 yards on a Bear to 1244 yards on a Bull Elk !

Oh could you PM me your load data for that stated 3010 ft.per.sec!! That sounds perfect to me !

Rum Man
Sorry, it's @Lucasraymond, not mine.

Rum Man
ADG Brass, 60.0g H1000, COAL mag length (3.20"- left .04" for clearance in mag- can measure CBTO when I get home).

Ive taken that to 61.4 grains before seeing pressure at ~3130 fps but the 60.0 shot great and 3k is plenty enough speed for me.

ADG Brass, 60.0g H1000, COAL mag length (3.20"- left .04" for clearance in mag- can measure CBTO when I get home).

Ive taken that to 61.4 grains before seeing pressure at ~3130 fps but the 60.0 shot great and 3k is plenty enough speed for me.
Thank you !
I have 50 or 60 pounds of H-1000 to mess with ! But Lapua Brass . Maybe I better find some Adg brass.

Rum Man