Monolithic Bullet Accuracy

Kevin

My goal is to build something that will accurately shoot the mono's. I have not had much success getting great accuracy with any of them in my current rifles. I usually hear things like "some barrels like them and some don't" I would like to hear from people who shoot them with great accuracy to attempt to find similarities in barrels, cartridges, or maybe there is one particular bullet that seems to shoot good in anything.

Also, this setup should be capable on elk sized game out to 700 yards.

Thanks,

My goal is to build something that will accurately shoot the mono's. I have not had much success getting great accuracy with any of them in my current rifles. I usually hear things like "some barrels like them and some don't" I would like to hear from people who shoot them with great accuracy to attempt to find similarities in barrels, cartridges, or maybe there is one particular bullet that seems to shoot good in anything.

Also, this setup should be capable on elk sized game out to 700 yards.

Thanks,

How 'bout this for a barrel that didn't and a barrel that did, but they were the same barrel?

I had a rifle built with a Siskiyou barrel. I had him make the barrel with a slim 22" profile but add 4" to it. It was a guaranteed 2MOA rifle. The cartridge was a short fat before short fat was in. It would hold on in the chamber and another in the magazine.

After a couple hunting seasons I had an adjustable brake installed. The 'smith who installed it told me, "If it doesn't put two close together it's not gonna put three close together." I dialed it in with only fifty shots. I took the 'smith to the range and fired two shots on the target and brought it to him. They were 1/2" apart. He said, "There're only to holes." "It only holds two," I told him. You gotta shot three." I put up another target and fired three. The group measured 1".

I later discovered Barnes are suppose to be started about .050" from the lands. I was loading mine against the them. The last rifle in which I used Barnes the preferred location was .120" from the rifling. This is almost 1/8".

I was firing original 7mm 150 grainers at 3,200 feet per second.

Last edited:
I guess not a lot of people have got them to shoot great.

Wildcater, I definitely know what you mean by the number of shots in the group. I would usually have groups that appeared to have "fliers" as a couple shots would be really tight together. Then I load more and realize that it was only by chance that 3 were really close as the true group develops into a 2MOA pattern.

I wonder if they are just really sensitive to the barrel warming up? I think I will try to shoot a group of true cold bore shots. Anyone done this?

I guess not a lot of people have got them to shoot great.

Wildcater, I definitely know what you mean by the number of shots in the group. I would usually have groups that appeared to have "fliers" as a couple shots would be really tight together. Then I load more and realize that it was only by chance that 3 were really close as the true group develops into a 2MOA pattern.

I wonder if they are just really sensitive to the barrel warming up? I think I will try to shoot a group of true cold bore shots. Anyone done this?

I fired six shot over six days with a .257 Weatherby firing Barnes 100 TTSX. I shot every morning. The group was 1MOA at 100 yards.

Barnes TTSX have shot very accurately out of several of my rifles.

210 TTSX to 1/2 MOA out of my 338wsm built on a Win M70 action, and ultralight contour pac-nor barrel, with about a .020" jump.

225 TTSX to 1 MOA out of a 338 win mag with a #4 pacnor barrel. Can't remember the jump, don't own that rifle anymore.

225 TTSX and 280 LRX to 1/4 MOA out of my custom 338 Ultra Mag, #4 contour Hart, .010" jump.

175 LRX, 180 TTSX and 200 LRX to 1/4 MOA out of my custom 300 win mag, #4 fluted Hart barrel, .085" jump.

I typically shoot 3-shot groups.

I've only had luck with one mono cutting edge. Everything I've shot them in has been super easy to get accurate. I will be trying hammers new ones soon. Never had any luck with Barnes.

I am a bullet maker with my own product....I will give my honest answer.

I have been fond of mono metal bullets for a long time. That is why we decided to get into making them.

I started with GS Custom bullets. Some of them were great and some were finicky.

The Cutting Edge bullets that I used were all very accurate.

Our Hammer Bullets have been the easiest bullet that I have ever loaded for. They really do not seem to care about seating depth. All of our ogives are tangent for that reason. The tangent ogive does not give the best bc, but it is more forgiving. We care more about consistency and repeatability than anything else. We figure that high bc does not mean much if you are not certain about where it is going to land.

Steve

I see a few good reports on the cutting edge bullets and found many good reports before trying them myself. Unfortunately I have not found a way to make them group.

I have not tried the hammers yet but I definitly will.

I see a few good reports on the cutting edge bullets and found many good reports before trying them myself. Unfortunately I have not found a way to make them group.

I have not tried the hammers yet but I definitly will.

I'm working on Hammer Hunters in 277, 338 and 375 cals.

I'm learning to really appreciate their innovative design. Generally speaking, select a powder with a reasonable burn rate, select a reasonable seating depth and with in 15 shots I'm zeroed at 300 yards with at least 0.5 MOA.

Only 375 has been stretched out to 1126 and she retained 0.5 MOA.

Next up are the 338s

I'm learning to really appreciate their innovative design. Generally speaking, select a powder with a reasonable burn rate, select a reasonable seating depth and with in 15 shots I'm zeroed at 300 yards with at least 0.5 MOA.

I've had mixed results with the mono's. Limited experience with the Hammer bullets, but they made a very favorable impression.

I have 6mm's, on the desk, and .375's on the way.

I've got a young fellow scheduled to pig hunt, the 6mm might get some field use as well.

I've had mixed results with the mono's. Limited experience with the Hammer bullets, but they made a very favorable impression.

I have 6mm's, on the desk, and .375's on the way.

I've got a young fellow scheduled to pig hunt, the 6mm might get some field use as well.

There has never been any pork hit with a Hammer yet. I would lover to see some Hammered pork.

They have killed wolf, moose, antelope, wtail, mulies, and elk. Oh and gophers.

New tool is supposed to be in today so I can finish your order and get it in the FedEx box tomorrow morning.

Steve

I tried my 416 Ruger for accuracy with a monolithic. 3-9 Leupold scope, Ruger mounts. Took 3 shots to sight in, paper shows shots 4, 5 and 6.

Range 100 meters.

This post reminds me of my .375. I forgot about firing monos with it. Groups with Barnes TTSX 250 ran 1/2" to 1" with a velocity of 3,085 feet per second.
002_zpsdmszkyfd.jpg

I'm surprised to hear that, Cutting Edge has basically replaced Barnes in my long range rigs. Albeit, my experience is narrow to say the least, I've found the MTH to be pretty darn forgiving. I know my 6.5WSM likes them (see below). I'd like to regale you with stories of sub .250 moa however, I honestly am not usually that good of a shot. Below is no-BS repeatable accuracy.

6-5WSM 5 @ 100.jpg

t