Monday Morning Cows

TopPin

Not everyday do you get to take a father and son hunting, that you could consider to be family. Not everyday do you get to watch your Friend of 78 years old smack another Cow elk at 360 yards with his Husqvarna 30-06, old weaver fine cross hair fixed 4 power scope, and 165 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.
. As we found the elk from the night befor we, eased down the ridge at first light, Jon myself and my best friend Andy, his son. The goal was simple get Ol Timmer another elk. And if he got one, then Andy would try to fill his tag.
As the sun started to rise we looked down and watched as a group of around 100 maybe a few more feed towards us in the early morning light. I looked at Jon and we made the decision to crawl to a Boulder, where he could get a good rest. As we sat there waiting and watching you couldn't help but see the excitement in his eyes, and the giant grin, as they fed below us. He decided he had watched long enough, called out his cow, and the old husky pill drove another one into the ground. As he sat there grinning ear to ear, I looked over at Andy, and said "Andrew, you want to shoot?" Andy responded "well I don't see why not!" As the cows stood there trying to figure out where the first shot came from I ranged a cow in the back of the group, called out the range (412), then all you hear was the click of the safety, and boom. Cow down! Andy not to be sheepish about giving his old man a hard time, calmly opens the bolt on his 300RUM, and said "well I guess the rum eats another one! Followed by, what took you so long to shoot?"
These moments are filled with laughter and appreciation. To me that is what it's all about.

Jon has never hunted with another rifle, always stating you cant beat an 30- 06, and I've killed more elk with this rifle I dont need another one. Jon hasn't bought a box of cartridges in 15 years. He showed up with the 5 remaing bullets and left with 4 in his pocket. He has a shot over 70 elk in his lifetime, maybe over 80, and a pile of deer to boot. Jon is holding strong on im going to quit hunting as soon as a run out of bullets. I told him it appears he will be 82 when he and the ol husky retire! I'm probably wrong on that, he lives to shoot elk, so maybe next year! Trigger happy he is!
I just wanted to share that, and hopefully if I'm that lucky, I will be able to still be hunting, and enjoying my mornings with good family and friends.
. So cheers to all the ol buds, the young buds, and the new buds. May all you enjoy the time spent hunting.

Attachments

• 20211206_082619.jpg
    20211206_082619.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 505
  • 20211206_085200.jpg
    20211206_085200.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 506
Not everyday do you get to take a father and son hunting, that you could consider to be family. Not everyday do you get to watch your Friend of 78 years old smack another Cow elk at 360 yards with his Husqvarna 30-06, old weaver fine cross hair fixed 4 power scope, and 165 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.
. As we found the elk from the night befor we, eased down the ridge at first light, Jon myself and my best friend Andy, his son. The goal was simple get Ol Timmer another elk. And if he got one, then Andy would try to fill his tag.
As the sun started to rise we looked down and watched as a group of around 100 maybe a few more feed towards us in the early morning light. I looked at Jon and we made the decision to crawl to a Boulder, where he could get a good rest. As we sat there waiting and watching you couldn't help but see the excitement in his eyes, and the giant grin, as they fed below us. He decided he had watched long enough, called out his cow, and the old husky pill drove another one into the ground. As he sat there grinning ear to ear, I looked over at Andy, and said "Andrew, you want to shoot?" Andy responded "well I don't see why not!" As the cows stood there trying to figure out where the first shot came from I ranged a cow in the back of the group, called out the range (412), then all you hear was the click of the safety, and boom. Cow down! Andy not to be sheepish about giving his old man a hard time, calmly opens the bolt on his 300RUM, and said "well I guess the rum eats another one! Followed by, what took you so long to shoot?"
These moments are filled with laughter and appreciation. To me that is what it's all about.

Jon has never hunted with another rifle, always stating you cant beat an 30- 06, and I've killed more elk with this rifle I dont need another one. Jon hasn't bought a box of cartridges in 15 years. He showed up with the 5 remaing bullets and left with 4 in his pocket. He has a shot over 70 elk in his lifetime, maybe over 80, and a pile of deer to boot. Jon is holding strong on im going to quit hunting as soon as a run out of bullets. I told him it appears he will be 82 when he and the ol husky retire! I'm probably wrong on that, he lives to shoot elk, so maybe next year! Trigger happy he is!
I just wanted to share that, and hopefully if I'm that lucky, I will be able to still be hunting, and enjoying my mornings with good family and friends.
. So cheers to all the ol buds, the young buds, and the new buds. May all you enjoy the time spent hunting.
Thanks for sharing your morning hunt! What an Awesome story.

Awesome and could not have been any better for everyone. This is why I enjoy hunting and the Great Outdoors.