Moly VS Naked surprising difference in vel and pressure

Robbin

I was shooting my New encore 6.5X47 Lapua this weekend, and it cronoed out at little over 50FPS slower than my bench gun that was built with the same reamer. I've got a custom dial for the velocity that the BR gun puts out, so I wanted to try to safely bump the velocity up in the encore to match the BR gun. I can't, the pressure is all I'm willing to push now. That said, the first thing I tried was shooting a naked vs a moly bullet.
I was stunned… 60fps increase changing from Moly to Naked. And pressure high enough to result in a very sticky frame (as opposed to sticky bolt).
I immediately discontinued my efforts. But was very surprised that the difference was that great.
I've shot moly so long, I've never even thought about the difference…
Interesting stuff, thought I'd post for everyone's info….
Robbin

gun)On that encore frame have you checked your headspace between the frame and barrel. i know that mine is very finicky I have 4 different barrels and none of them are the same as far as headspace go. My 243 ai barrel has about .006 head space so I have to adjust my sizer die accordingly and then all my pressure signs go away and am able to shoot what they say it will shoot otherwise it is just a plain old 243 and no performance gain.

Yep, I've got a gauge, I've got another great shooting encore .5 moa at 800 yards. But I had to shim the firing pin forward to get the headspace right. I was having a lot of misfires. Finally got it right and it shoots great. But I can't shoot my other barrels on it without removing the shims, so I leave it alone. It shoots way to go to mess with.

By the way, don't know if you've tried this, but both my encores like to have the VLDs jammed. I use fairly light neck tension and let the gun seat the bullet for me when I close the frame. Both rival my Bench Rest gun out to 800 yards now.

Robbin

All of my barrels other than the 223 are wildcats or improved cartridges. Its funny my 25-06ai barrel and my 243 barrrel both use the same frame and my 270 gibbs and 223 use the same frame. 25-06 has aabout .001 headspace and like I said before the 243ai has .006 but both of them shoot great on that frame. The other frame gets the 270 gibbs and the 223. We will have to see how the new 5.7X28mm barrel fits on these frames.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.