moly coating?????

I use the Lyman superfine moly powder and the Lyman ceramic tumbling media.
The combo does a great job applying the moly to the slugs.
Make sure you search around the internet and learn everything about moly coating as you can because improper use and application can be bad.
I started using moly about 1996 and have had nothing but good results with it.
Others have not had such good luck.

I still have some old stock moly coated Berger 180 vld bullets. I have had no issues that the internet speaks of. I shoot 40 rds and clean with JB bore cleaner and Sweets followed by Hoppes. I clean the bore dry with alcohol and coat the bore with Hex Boron.

Due to the arrival of Hex Boron I no longer Moly any bullet. Hex coating the Barrel and bullet is the only way to go.

Bulletcoatings.com is the place for all your answers and questions. Quality info.

I have had no issues with moly either. I think too many people did no research before jumping into the deep end of the moly/coating pool.
I appreciate seeing and reading about people doing research before condeming an asset.
Thank you for the link, I have some reading to do.

Last edited:
I still have some old stock moly coated Berger 180 vld bullets. I have had no issues that the internet speaks of. I shoot 40 rds and clean with JB bore cleaner and Sweets followed by Hoppes. I clean the bore dry with alcohol and coat the bore with Hex Boron.

Due to the arrival of Hex Boron I no longer Moly any bullet. Hex coating the Barrel and bullet is the only way to go.

Bulletcoatings.com is the place for all your answers and questions. Quality info.
Thanks,I will check out there site.

I just checked out the Bulletcoatings.com site. I'm liking what I'm seeing about Hex Boron, except for the health risk. Is it really that bad to get on your skin or breathe? Should i not tumble it in the house?

Well, If you read about health risk,,read about breathing gun powder dust, smelting lead and casting your own bullets, let alone touching the lead. and god forbid using lead bullets in some radical states. I tell those that I mentor to wear a dust mask and proctology:D gloves. Personally I do not subscribe to fear and living in a bubble.

Well, If you read about health risk,,read about breathing gun powder dust, smelting lead and casting your own bullets, let alone touching the lead. and god forbid using lead bullets in some radical states. I tell those that I mentor to wear a dust mask and proctology:D gloves. Personally I do not subscribe to fear and living in a bubble.
I think I'm going to try it. How do you treat your bore? Do you put some on a patch?

Clean your bore absolutely clean. Use what make you comfortable, but I start with JB bore paste and a nylon brush. Followed up by Sweets 7.62. Wash the Sweets out with HOPPES #9. Wash the HOPPES out with alcohol. The purer the better. Hex Boron after the bore is perfectly clean will be applied to the bore through a alcohol carrier. Tumble the bullets in Hex also in your vibratory tumbler for 3 hours. It sounds like a lot but it really is nothing other than cleaning your bore, you do that all the time and tumbling bullets for 3 hours. It really helps on tight bores and high velocities. You will have no POI change between cleanings. No need to foul the barrel, and ES will go down.

Used with a Temp Stable powder and Nitrided barrel this stuff really changes the game. My 7mm Rem will out do STWs all day. The 30 06 will run a 180 gr 3000 fps with ease. Broughton 5c barrels, 28 inches on the 7 and Broughton 5c 26 inch on the 06

Clean your bore absolutely clean. Use what make you comfortable, but I start with JB bore paste and a nylon brush. Followed up by Sweets 7.62. Wash the Sweets out with HOPPES #9. Wash the HOPPES out with alcohol. The purer the better. Hex Boron after the bore is perfectly clean will be applied to the bore through a alcohol carrier. Tumble the bullets in Hex also in your vibratory tumbler for 3 hours. It sounds like a lot but it really is nothing other than cleaning your bore, you do that all the time and tumbling bullets for 3 hours. It really helps on tight bores and high velocities. You will have no POI change between cleanings. No need to foul the barrel, and ES will go down.

Used with a Temp Stable powder and Nitrided barrel this stuff really changes the game. My 7mm Rem will out do STWs all day. The 30 06 will run a 180 gr 3000 fps with ease. Broughton 5c barrels, 28 inches on the 7 and Broughton 5c 26 inch on the 06
You definitely have my attention. LoL

What velocity gain could one expect from the Boron Nitride treated barrel/bullets, compared to untreated, with heavy bullets in 7mm, .308, and .338? 50, 100, 150fps?

I have studied Hex Boron compared to Moly extensively in many various rifles. There is several things I found it do. First and foremost it will keep the bore very clean with hardly any trace of copper.

Tracking all the information on each load, rifle, bullet, powder combination over 7 different calibers, 43 cartridges, over 80 rifles half of them custom built and half over the counter, this is what I have found.

Custom barrels that are tight and can create overpressure signs earlier than usual now can go much higher on the powder charge without a hint of over pressure. Case in example a 7mm Rem that I built with a very tight barrel, 180 Berger will travel over 3225. Backed off to 3150 it is a tack driver.

The bearing surface will make a huge difference with Hex Boron. The greater the bearing surface the greater the results. I contribute this to friction due to my data.

The hotter the powder is NOT a huge concern. It makes a before and after fps variation of only 11 fps on average. Barrel length makes NO difference.

The larger the caliber is a factor if the powder capacity can push the bullet to magnum velocities. OVER BORE CARTRIDGES ARE MADE FOR HEX BORON.

Here is the interesting part. On the hyper velocity cartridges shooting the hollow points and or thin jacketed bullets that denigrate in the air before they reach the target. They now hold together and are more accurate.

I contribute this to the friction in the barrel is not pulling the jacket rearward as the bullet is traveling down the barrel due to the amount of friction is reduced on the jacket is not melting a "skim" layer of lead between the jacket and core thus aiding the suspected moving jacket. These two factors would cause the hollow point to open and be larger than the factory orifice do to much rearward friction in the bore allowing more air in the hollow point thus aiding it to come further apart.

This is somewhat related to the next phenomenon. Recheck your drop factors. The BC of the bullet will change even if you reduce your load to the same velocity.

To directly answer the velocity gain question. I have seen a 125 fps gain on the cartridges that really need help. A Lapua will commonly see 60 to 70 fps with a match barrel.
I personally only use Broughton 5C barrels. They have shown to me to be the most accurate out of all barrels. The only exception would be the Bartlien barrel when used with solid copper bullets such as the Barnes. The Bartlien "progressive twist" progressing less than .20 in twist has sometimes shown to be more accurate.

Re: Hex Boron coating?????

IEH,
Is the Hex Boron bore treatment good for 20, 40, or 60 rounds fired - prior to re-treatment of the bore? How does one determine when the bore should/must be re-treated. Does cleaning of the bore remove the Hex Boron from the bore, such that re-treatment is required following every bore cleaning? So it's as simple as re-treating the bore following each thorough bore cleaning?

Another concern... Can Hex Boron be left in the bore after treatment, without concern for any moisture/corrosion of the bore. For example, can I treat the bore prior to my hunting trip, and leave Hex Boron in the bore throughout a 10-day hunt, without worrying about corrosion? I'm trying to figure out how to protect the bore from corrosion after treating it with a 90-100% alcohol carrier, which means there will be no oil, and no corrosion protection, left in the bore. Would I fire a bullet down the bore after treatment, and then carry the rifle hunting? Same as hunting with a pre-fouled bore, to help ensure cold bore POI coincides with cold bore POA?

Sounds attractive if these issues aren't a spoiler for hunting use of my rifles. I've read David Tubbs treats his bores for competitive shooting. I see he also sells Boron Nitride bullet treatment kits.

Thanks for sharing...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.