moly coated bullets

Hi everyone,

By accident, I purchased a 20 count box of Hornady moly coated V-Max. I've read a fiew articles about moly and am thinking I want to stay away from it.

They are non-returnable. I figure 20 rounds won't hurt, but wanted to get some imput before doing so. any thoughts

20 rounds is not enough to get the barrel accustomed to moly. Then, to remove it from the bore can be a problem. I would tumble those bullets for about 2 hours in walnut shell media; it will remove the moly.

I have never used moly coated bullets and have read very little about them. In understanding that moly lubricates the bullet as it passes down the barrel, what are the benifits and/or detractions of using moly bullets? I'm asking because in what I have read or heard there seems to be a an undercurrent of something evil lurking. Could anyone shed some light?

Molybedium is slippery. Your bullet will glide thru the barrel with less resistance, once the lands are coated. Moly in the barrel will not improve accuracy. It will decrease muzzle velocity, so that loads need to be increased a little to return to your prior loading window. The big advantaqge is less wear on the throat, increasing barrel life. You will be able to extend the time between cleanings considerably. I clean mine every 40 - 50 rounds.

Molybedium is slippery. Your bullet will glide thru the barrel with less resistance, once the lands are coated. Moly in the barrel will not improve accuracy. It will decrease muzzle velocity, so that loads need to be increased a little to return to your prior loading window. The big advantaqge is less wear on the throat, increasing barrel life. You will be able to extend the time between cleanings considerably. I clean mine every 40 - 50 rounds.

Gene, I could not have said it better myself. I have been shooting 140 grain nosler CT bullets in one of my STW's since 1997. The gun loves them,( deer hate them), and my barrel is incredibly accurate still. The throat is bearly worn at all. Round count is fairly high. Cleaning is as you said is less frequent, and easier when you do. One thing that I have learned about moly, is once you start using them, and change to another bullet, you have to clean the #%^* out of it to remove ALL of the deposits from the barrel. And you can not shoot moly, then regular, then moly again. That raises pressures because of lamination. I shoot the moly bullets in that gun only, because it shoots them so well, and I have a ton of them.

I quit running moly coated bullets about 8 years ago because it seemed to be easy to allow moisture in the barrel. However, I was doing my own moly coating and the wax amount was perhaps inconsistant. If I were in your shoes I'd simply tumble the moly off if the bullets are not loaded. But if they are loaded I would just have some fun shooting them off as is. you will need to clean the moly out of the bore either way. Standard solvents will not work. If I remember correctly I used JB bore bright to remove the moly. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys,

I do not reload. the rounds I bought are factory Hornady 223 55 v-max (I didn't see "moly" listed on the box until I got home).

I recently purchased a new rifle and have been testing different factory ammo to find out what it shoots best. I think I'll hold off on using the moly coated rounds. probably try to sell them.

I just picked up some factory Hornady 53 grain v-max superperformance. the stats on these are likely the best I'll find in factory ammo that'll be fur friendly, so I'm hoping the rifle shoots them well.

My new rifle is a Mossberg MVP. So far I am impressed. I had some Hornady 40 grain v-max laying around, so after I sighted it in close I shot two five shot groups. the rifle has a 24 inch barrel in a 9 twist so I wasn't expecting it to shoot the 40's all that well.....but to my amazment both groups were just over .5 in at 100 yards. Hoping the 53's are even better.

it shot cheap 55 and 62 fmj's rather poorly with the worst group right around 1.5. this was cheap winchester ammo.

I plan on posting a full review of the MVP once I get more shooting under my belt. so far I'm happy with it.

thanks to everyone for their input. I've been a novice hunter and shooter all my life so it's nice to have some input from experts!

Last edited:
Take them back and trade them for a box of non moly ammo, no store should not allow that exchange, and if they did I would not do business there ever agian.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.