Modular weighting for recoil reduction

urbaneruralite

I can think of a reason why this may be a ridiculous idea, but......

Has anyone any information on using modular add-on weights for recoil reduction/control with rifles? Where would such a weight have to be placed? How about a gunsmith that wouldn't roll his eyes?

I'm thinking in terms of making a practical eight to ten pound rifle a fifteen pound rig with a simple bolt on weight. A fifteen pound rig is pretty specialized, but a ten pounder such as I suggest is just a little heavy with a couple of curious holes in it. The ability to pull the weight from the pack and add it when favorable appeals to me for certain specific situations.

At 9500' in the Rockies...this ole boy don't need anymore "add on weights"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Put you a good brake up front and forget it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brownell's sells (used to, anyway) a mercury filled tube to install in the butt stock of a rifle foe active recoil reduction, plus it added about 1 lb. to the rifle. I installed one on a S&W 1500 for a guy who was having trouble with recoil.

*This post can no longer be edited because the maximum edit time has expired *

So I add this here:

This idea sprang from an interest in reducing the movement of the rifle after the shot rather than an aversion to recoil. Muzzle brakes seem to be an unknown until you actually try them. I'd like to be able to do some concrete calculations before building.

I have posted this previuosly and it was thoruoghly ridiculed.

I wanted to add somne weight to my hunting rifles and get them to "ride the bags" (what ever that really is) like benchrest rifles. I took some "C" channel iron and drilled two holes in it and attached it to the forestock. For one screw hole I used the forward sling swivel nut and I epoxied in another nut just in front of the action. It definetly adds weight and it definelty steadies the gun but it did not decrease my group sizes noticeably.

Sincliar sells a cheap plastic one that is not nearly the high quality of mine because all my parts were bought at Home Depot.

[ QUOTE ]
Sinclair Forend Benchrest Adaptor This benchrest forend adaptor quickly converts almost any stock into a benchrest stock. No modifications to your stock are necessary. Simply insert the appropriate screw (included) through the forend adaptor and thread it into the front sling stud hole. The side plates adjust inward to configure to the forend design of your rifle. Cork material protects the stock finish. The 3" wide bottom plate is made of solid UHMW, which has a low coefficient of friction. This material was selected to provide consistent and smooth recoil in your rifle rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

318703.jpg

318700.jpg

Hey man..."whatever blows ya skirt up!" OK by me! I'm a firm believer that if it were put out that attaching a commode bowl to the stock would reduce groups by 1/2"....they'd be someone figure out a way to do it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

R

As I said --it had already been very very thoroughly ridculed. You get a 15 yard penalty for piling on after the whistle has blown.

And I don't know who leaked the secret about my new comode gun project. It is still in the R&D phase. But I guarantee you that when you attach it to your muzzle loader it will group under a half an inch and you won't ever have to clean it. You just pull the handle and flush the crude out.

Well enough fun for tonight. I got to get up early and shoot me some wood ducks and geese.

I think it's a good idea, esp when combined with some of the custom tripod's I've seen here.
The mercury idea really interests me. I did a lot of research in that last year and all the feedback I got was they worked great for shotguns but not for rifles. I don't understand why they wouldn't work for a rifle, the physics is the same. Kirby told me to try my guns with his Holland QD brakes. I was very skeptical he could tame the 375 RUM he was building for me. The big RUM kicks less than my .243 - really amazing. I'm a kick sissy and I highly recommend the Holland QD.

I installed a mercury recoil suppressor in the stock of my 300 RUM. It does seem to help me when shooting prone. I feel that having it installed parrallel to the bottome of the stock has helped with getting back on target a little quicker, and the jump of the muzzle appears to be less severe. Doesn't really change the force of the recoil, but makes it a little smoother.

Sasquatch, (elusive as ever)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.