Mod'ing a Savage 12BVSS .223 to .22-250 AI Heavy

milanuk

Mod\'ing a Savage 12BVSS .223 to .22-250 AI Heavy

Ok. This is something that I *think* I saw on a shooting board somewhere in the last week (then again, it could just be the voices in my head. What was that, again?) Someone was grumbling (as I have) about the relatively slow rate of twist in most factory .22-250 barrels. Upon subsequent modification to .22-250 AI, they still have a slow twist, which doesn't do any good if the object is to push heavy bullets at moderately fast speeds.

One possible solution was to obtain a Savage 12BVSS in .223 Rem, which has a twist of something like 1-9", then change out the 'head' of the bolt to one of suitable size for a .22-250, and then have the barrel reamed to .22-250 AI, and Voila! a .22-250 Ackley Improved w/ a fast twist, for a budget-friendly price!

I'm not entirely familiar w/ these guns construction; is the bolt part correct/feasible? Hell, is the whole idea workable? Anyone see potential pitfalls that I should watch out for?

TIA,

Monte

Re: Mod\'ing a Savage 12BVSS .223 to .22-250 AI Heavy

Sounds workable, as Savage will sell the replacement bolt heads direct. The magazine follower/box might pose a feeding problem, but most people shoot such rifles single shot, anyway.

Re: Mod\'ing a Savage 12BVSS .223 to .22-250 AI Heavy

Should be possible to just change out the magazine follower, right? Maybe some modification of the magazine box as well? Ah, crap, I'd probably be better off just finding something like a Score-Hi single-shot follower like I do on my 700s.

Thanks,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.