Modify Lee Collet Neck Die?

RCBS could most likely answer that question. Give them the diameter at the shoulder and also the shoulder angle.

If it doesn't work the Lee collet modification we ve been discussing shouldn't be a big deal. .200-.220 cut is less than we ve done on a few.

I have modified a .260 Rem collet die for 6.5X47 Lapua. I used a mill file to shorten the bottom of the sleeve that jams into the inner cone of the top part & shortened the mandrel. I then spun a Lee decap rod/pin, used in a Lee decap die, in my cordless & used a Dremel to reduce the diameter of the decap pin for the smaller sized flash holes in the 6.5X47L. This should work as the .338 Lapua case is longer than the .338 Norma.
sounds like that's it. Just have to make sure it's a straight cut !

BTW, doesn't affect this discussion but for anyone following the Lee collet die can also be used on longer cases of similar caliber. Just build a sleeve that is the same length as the case shoulder to neck difference you re working with. Have to manually deprime cases but no big deal. An example, I m using a 6.5x55 Swede collet die to size my 6.5-300 Weatherby!

Back to your situation, good luck and keep us posted!

Also to go the custom route through Lee for this particular die would $140. Little more then I wanna spend on it.

I found an RCBS neck sizing die for $15 which is hard to beat I just wish I knew if would contact the shoulder? It says it doesn't contact the shoulder but would it on an improved case?
Get it. Try it. If it hits, grind or ream (carbide) the shoulder out inside the barrel of the die. And you only need to size a portion of the neck anyway. If I was try to do what you are trying to do, I'd just make a bushing die that only slid down the neck, like pistol case sizing die. What's your outside neck diameter? probably pretty close to .368? That's a 9.3 bullet, so u could use a cast bullet sizer for that. If its thicker, u could use a sizer for 357mag or 380. They're .375. 223 case is right around there At the base as well so you could get away with a bump in that to hold a bullet. Could trim it shorter to get the size you're after and itll still do 223. You're not looking for perfect, just bullet tension so anything that'll squeeze it even half way down the neck will work. I only neck size 2/3 of the necks on most of mine for better centering when chambered, but that's a separate subject

BTW there is one guy on here who doesn't use a bullet to fire form and I read and talked to others who don't either.

Last edited:
Biff, so your saying I could potentially size the neck with the base portion of a 223 die? If that isn't quite right size wise I could get a cast bullet sizer to squeeze the neck down? Both sound brilliant!

That's why I still like asking questions on hear, get angles you never thought of!

Hey Lonewolf just so you know.... I just measured my fired OD neck on my 06 case and it's .340 SAMMI .340. Your down a rabbit hole a little to far , I think ;)

Last edited:
Biff, so your saying I could potentially size the neck with the base portion of a 223 die? If that isn't quite right size wise I could get a cast bullet sizer to squeeze the neck down? Both sound brilliant!

That's why I still like asking questions on hear, get angles you never thought of!
sure. U just need neck tension. If you really want to go cheap, anneal them And put 3 dimples in the neck with the point of a nail.

I make push thru bullet sizers from old dies. I used to buy up whatever old reloading stuff I'd find at yard sales and estate auctions. For a .477 sizer for my 480ruger and 475rum cast bullets, I just lopped the bottom off an old rcbs 06 fl sizer and polished it up a bit.
I built my set of 475rum collet dies from a used 300wsm set. Turned the mandrel from a grade 5 bolt and reamed the neck section in the collet with a .500 drill. I set the depth so it doesn't size the tip of the mouth or the base of the neck. Saves the step of opening the mouth for bullet, which the fc die crimps, and leaves the neck base at chamber size for concentricity when chambered. You can tinker with this stuff forever, or u can put 3 dimples in the neck with a nail to hold your bullet :D

Gun plumber, not gun smith ;) it's all simple stuff. Once you figure out HOW it works, you can make it do whatever you want
20220128_123605.jpg
20220128_123510.jpg
20220128_123330.jpg
20220128_123257.jpg
20220128_123152.jpg

Last edited:
So here's my dilemma. I have a 338 Norma mag improved and I really wanna use a Lee collet die at least for the first firing or two on my brass. However Lee doesn't make a collet neck die for 338 Norma and going the custom die route from them is pretty expensive.

So what I'm thinking is I could buy the Lee collet die for 338 Lapua mag. Of course I would try the die first to see if maybe it works as is but I'm kinda doubting it will because the Lapua is quite a bit longer then the Norma. So what I have in mind is to cut the Lee die down, taking equal amounts off both the sleeve and the die body.

Now does anyone with experience with the Lee die and exactly how it works know if this is a doable modification to the Lee collet die and should work fine as long as I get the length right???

Your help is appreciated guy's
Joshua
I did this for my 250 Ackley. I shortened the sleeve of a 257 Roberts collet die. Works great

sure. U just need neck tension. If you really want to go cheap, anneal them And put 3 dimples in the neck with the point of a nail.

I make push thru bullet sizers from old dies. I used to buy up whatever old reloading stuff I'd find at yard sales and estate auctions. For a .477 sizer for my 480ruger and 475rum cast bullets, I just lopped the bottom off an old rcbs 06 fl sizer and polished it up a bit.
I built my set of 475rum collet dies from a used 300wsm set. Turned the mandrel from a grade 5 bolt and reamed the neck section in the collet with a .500 drill. I set the depth so it doesn't size the tip of the mouth or the base of the neck. Saves the step of opening the mouth for bullet, which the fc die crimps, and leaves the neck base at chamber size for concentricity when chambered. You can tinker with this stuff forever, or u can put 3 dimples in the neck with a nail to hold your bullet :D

Gun plumber, not gun smith ;) it's all simple stuff. Once you figure out HOW it works, you can make it do whatever you wantView attachment 335329View attachment 335330View attachment 335331View attachment 335332View attachment 335333
thats one battle hardened rochchucker. their tough

The LEE custom shop is closed temporarily
"March 17, 2021: Due to unprecedented order volume, we have suspended custom services for Collet Necksizing Dies, Full-Length Sizing Die Sets, Quick Trim Dies, Case Length Gauges, Factory Crimp Dies, and Bullet Molds until we are able to meet the required volume of our standard products."