Modify Lee Collet Neck Die?

Lonewolf74

So here's my dilemma. I have a 338 Norma mag improved and I really wanna use a Lee collet die at least for the first firing or two on my brass. However Lee doesn't make a collet neck die for 338 Norma and going the custom die route from them is pretty expensive.

So what I'm thinking is I could buy the Lee collet die for 338 Lapua mag. Of course I would try the die first to see if maybe it works as is but I'm kinda doubting it will because the Lapua is quite a bit longer then the Norma. So what I have in mind is to cut the Lee die down, taking equal amounts off both the sleeve and the die body.

Now does anyone with experience with the Lee die and exactly how it works know if this is a doable modification to the Lee collet die and should work fine as long as I get the length right???

Your help is appreciated guy's
Joshua

The first reason is I would like to be able to fire a few pieces of brass 3 times each before sending that brass to Whidden to get a custom full length sizing die made. Brass isn't fully formed tight to your chamber in one or two firing's and I want minimum clearance in this project.

Second, I would use the die while in the process of fire forming all my brass.

Third, full length sizing if done properly and done minimally (why I want the brass fired 3 times to make a die off of) is better than neck sizing brass. But if a guy is going to neck size brass at all the Lee collet neck sizing die is the best way to do it. Also helps the quest that the Lee collet dies are generally cheaper then most others.

The first reason is I would like to be able to fire a few pieces of brass 3 times each before sending that brass to Whidden to get a custom full length sizing die made. Brass isn't fully formed tight to your chamber in one or two firing's and I want minimum clearance in this project.

Second, I would use the die while in the process of fire forming all my brass.

Third, full length sizing if done properly and done minimally (why I want the brass fired 3 times to make a die off of) is better than neck sizing brass. But if a guy is going to neck size brass at all the Lee collet neck sizing die is the best way to do it. Also helps the quest that the Lee collet dies are generally cheaper then most others.
you didn't say that whidden is making you a die, ok.

I wouldn't mess with it. I see the die for 60 bucks....ebay

68 bucks for 21st mandrel expander die and mandrel, and you can go below .001 neck tension....

I mean guys like the Lee for runout issue next to nill. And control neck tension, ya, but I wouldn't go cuttin unless you are sure you are within specs.

There's alot of guys on here who fire form without the collet die.

Last edited:
I've modified a few collet Dies. Just turn what you need off, but check first theres enough length to go on the collet base before you get near the slots. I centered on the die bore, cut the body then ran the live center up into the collet to cut it.

Depending on how much shorter the 338 NM is vs the 338 Lapua when you compare the base to shoulder/neck lengths, you may be able to cut the collet bottom that protrudes out the bottom of the die the same amount, build a shim the same length with a hole in it for the decap rod/sizer to go through and you ll be in business. The shim will go above the Lee collet cap that squeezes the collet and the threaded die top. If done properly the outside die body itself does not need modification. We ve done 223 collet die like this and made a 221 fireball, done a 17 Rem and made a 17 hornet, etc. The 17 collet was the most we took off the bottom at .360-.370 …. The others we ve modified typically are .100 to .200 depending on cartridge cases you re working with.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the response guy's. With my rough calculations I should need to remove about .200-.220 off the die. I will certainly make precise measurements when I have the collet die and a piece of Lapua brass in hand to compare everything.

I took one of my other collet dies apart last night and I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work but wanted some confirmation. I think I will carry on with my idea!

Thanks again for the help
Joshua

I didn't see anyone mention this . the Lee collet die is the bigger 1 1/4 - 12 thread size . do you have a press that can accept the bigger die size . this is the reason I don't have one for my Lapua .

So here's my dilemma. I have a 338 Norma mag improved and I really wanna use a Lee collet die at least for the first firing or two on my brass. However Lee doesn't make a collet neck die for 338 Norma and going the custom die route from them is pretty expensive.

So what I'm thinking is I could buy the Lee collet die for 338 Lapua mag. Of course I would try the die first to see if maybe it works as is but I'm kinda doubting it will because the Lapua is quite a bit longer then the Norma. So what I have in mind is to cut the Lee die down, taking equal amounts off both the sleeve and the die body.

Now does anyone with experience with the Lee die and exactly how it works know if this is a doable modification to the Lee collet die and should work fine as long as I get the length right???

Your help is appreciated guy's
Joshua
It can be done, I have modified a bunch of them

Maybe Because they work ?
In this Instance about clearance that he wants for a custom die... is it really necessary to use this die or can it be achieved by other ways ? I'm asking, not making a statement. The bigger question is, does neck tension the collet die is suppose to provide, make less clearance like he wants after fire forming?

In this Instance about clearance that he wants for a custom die... is it really necessary to use this die or can it be achieved by other ways ? I'm asking, not making a statement. The bigger question is, does neck tension the collet die is suppose to provide, make less clearance like he wants after fire forming?
You are just over complicating things and spending money on mandrels for no reason, what the OP is wanting to do is spot on and the LEE die will work perfectly

I've modified a few collet Dies. Just turn what you need off, but check first theres enough length to go on the collet base before you get near the slots. I centered on the die bore, cut the body then ran the live center up into the collet to cut it.
Hey Biff, after re-reading your post it caught my attention that you stated "check there's enough length to go on the collet base before you get near the slots" can you explain this a little more?

I didn't see anyone mention this . the Lee collet die is the bigger 1 1/4 - 12 thread size . do you have a press that can accept the bigger die size . this is the reason I don't have one for my Lapua .
Yes I have a Rockchucker press in which the bushing that holds the die can be turned out and it's 1 1/4-12 threads