Modified Case for Hornady Gauge

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
We are still having quite a few LRH Members responding and happy to help out and make Modified Cases for your chamber.
For anyone wanting to make their own Modified Case you can purchase a "Tap & Bit" through Amazon.

HSS 5/16-36 Right hand Thread Tap and 7.3mm Drill bit

You should have a GOOD Drill press (can do without a Lathe). Drill STRAIGHT and then TAP use a good TAP & Drill oil.
If you don't have the equipment. Please don't drill and tap crooked cases. Just put in the mail for a small shipping fee and we will help out.

Jill and I have all the equipment already so we are offering to Drill & Tap your brass cases for you. Lathe/Drill/Piloted Spindle Tap for a straight Tap.
You should be able to put a few cases in an envelope and then ship inexpensively through USPS. USPS Flat rate envelope is $5 now.

We an not looking for any compensation, just to have you "Pay it Forward" to help another Hunter/Shooter and maybe return the favor to us in the future.
Also if you need Gunsmithing pertaining to Chambering/Threading/Cerakoting in the near future please contact us.
Our Shop is almost finished with the "Renovation". Just need some more electrical work and equipment placement in the new shop.
Thanks much & God Bless
If you can't shoot straight, just shoot anyway. You are bound to get better with practice.
This is what we just made for Modified Cases
6mmBR
6mm Creed
6.5 Creed
260 Rem
7SS
308Rem
8mm
270WSM
25-SSWM
325 WSM
204 Ruger
223Win
and many many others.
If you have any case and need one made for your rifle/pistol chamber let us know.
Its $5.00 for shipping. from us to you
We are sure that some previous members will verify the Modified Cases we made for them.
Anything else just let us know by PM
We probably have done close to 100 cases of different calibers for LRH members and Shooters recently.
BTW if you are having new rifle built and don't have the brass yet-let us know. We may already have some Modified Cases made and can send to you.
Thanks and God Bless
Len & Jill

Last edited:
a fire formed case chambered with a slotted neck or red lock tite is best. Using the gauge doesn't insert the case enough in the chamber.

better with a fireformed case that still chambers
Truthfully it is all the same as long as you put the case into the chamber and use the Hornady Modified Case Gauge. It is just going to show you the depth of the throat from the shoulder of the case to the Lands.
For those of us that have OCD use a "Fire Formed Case", but doesn't really matter. (I have OCD so make everything off of Fire Formed to my Chamber)
I know we have made hundreds of Modified Cases from Fire Formed and New Brass Cases.
If you need some made please PM us.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Truthfully it is all the same as long as you put the case into the chamber and use the Hornady Modified Case Gauge. It is just going to show you the depth of the throat from the shoulder of the case to the Lands.
For those of us that have OCD use a "Fire Formed Case", but doesn't really matter. (I have OCD so make everything off of Fire Formed to my Chamber)
I know we have made hundreds of Modified Cases from Fire Formed and New Brass Cases.
If you need some made please PM us.
Thanks
Len & Jill
OCD ? LOL ok..... you're looking a quite a bit of difference friend. You can't convince me that the gauge will seat it correctly.

Last edited:
main cause of "inconsistent" is "operator error"
with a "modified", new case, or a fireformed case, which the seller says he uses.... are not the same, natrually, but you know that, I'm sure. The Hornady gauge does not insert the case, modified or fireformed, in the chamber enough consistently and you have no idea where it's at to get a proper reading.... consistently.

Last edited:
with a "modified", new case, or a fireformed case, which the seller says he uses.... are not the same, natrually, but you know that, I'm sure. The Hornady gauge does not insert the case, modified or fireformed, in the chamber enough consistently and you have no idea where it's at to get a proper reading.... consistently.
How do you explain when everything goes right and you get rather exact readings repeatedly?

Personally, I don't think it's all that important. The measurement just gives you a reference point to work from. All of my hunting ammo is loaded with the bullets off the rifling. If I think the bullets are .020" off but they are really .027" off; does it matter? As long as you have a reference point that you can repeat, you're good to go IMO.