Modern rifles for daughters

wild_musk

I want to build 2 "modern" rifles for my twin daughters. They are 5 now, they won't be shooting for a few years. I'm worried I need to start now in order to get the components I want, which I'm afraid may become cost prohibitive or simply unavailable.

I ordered two AR10 lowers before back-orders were shut off on Brownells. No idea if ill see them. I'm considering alternate rifles with better parts availibility, accuracy potential, low-end recoil, 308-parent case, and room for a kid to grow into, medium to light weight. I'm not married to 308 as it seems my current brass supply may as well be the last on earth. Price not necessarily an option, but I'm not made of $. Also they could turn 15 and never touch again for all i know, so it would be nice to have ability to sell if req'd.

Looking at Rem SA rcvrs with a chassis-style stock, perhaps JP. Chambers such as 308, 260AI, 338Fed. Any other suggestions? Should I go long action and stick to 30-06 cases? What components are going to be around in the future? What would you do different? Why?

Pls move if this goes better in a different area.

Thanks, mch

I've built 4 rifles for granddaughters (3yr. and 1yr. old) in the last year.
22-250
.300 WM

picked those because I believe brass/components etc. will be available for them the longest (and next one is to be 30-06)

I used rem 700 actions for same reason (and I like 'em) lots of "parts" available

Thanks, those are good suggestions. I love my 223s also, but we are hunting-centric, and looking for a little more versatility. 300wm would be a little too much at the weight I'd like. 308 family I think was hard to beat for component availability, ease of reloading, bullet selection, barrel life. Just wondering if anyone thought a more "boring" round, such as non-magnum, non-tactical 30-06 family, might win out in component availability in the future? Sounds like you are leaning that way.

My daughter is 9 yo. She started shooting .22 LR two years ago. She loves hunting ground squirrels. I just bought a .17 HMR rifle to extend her range.

I think her first center fire rifle will be a .223. Then probably a .243 Win. I would not push her toward a heavier recoil caliber. I'll let her ask for it.

I bought .22's for both the girls when they were born. The reason for the other's
was to build "tack drivers" and, bein' as they are way to young to shoot them, "Papa" gets to shoot 'em for a few years !

I'm in the same boat as you - got grandchildren from 10 - 3 and if I have anything to do with it they'll be hunting and fishing. I'm just finishing a 250 Savage on a Rem 700 short action and a 6.5 x 47 Lapua on a Rem Model 7 - both of these are in lightweight, shortened stocks with light sporter contour barrels. The 250 will shoot 100 to 120 grain bullets and the 6.5 will shoot 100 to 130 grain bullets. Both are very light recoil and the ability to grow heavier loads as the kids grow. I already have a 6.5 x 55 that I'm loading lighter loads but it is a larger rifle and too long for a 9 or 10-year old starting to shoot. I love a 308 but a heck of lot more recoil especially if you scale the weight and size down to fit the little shooters. Good luck what ever you choose.

My first choice would be the 250 Savage. If you insist on staying with a 308 case second choice would be 260 Rem.

My suggestion is go buy ya .243 win in a Weatherby Vanguard, Howa 1500, or Rem 700. Put it in a Blackhawk UL Axiom stock. The stock is adjustable to be very small. The recoil is reduced to no more than a .222!! I did this for my daughter and the results are amazing and not expensive. The rifle will grow with them and they can hunt anything they want. I want one now for myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.