Model seven remington

I have a remington youth model seven 243 can i use this action to build a mid range shooter is the action same as a 700 ?

The action is a shortened version of the 700 short action. It has the same mag length and capacity
as the standard short action.

The rear receiver ring and tang are about 1/2 shorter than the 700 short action and require a
mod 7 inletted stock.

The bolt is also shorter.

They take the same trigger as any 700 Remington and the XP basses can be substituted if it has
two screws on the rear of the receiver. (The first models had only one and required a one
piece base with three screws)

I have built many custom rifles on this action and It is very strong. well machined and makes
a great custom rifle.

My favorite cartriges for the Mod 7 are the 6.5 Rem Mag, 7/08 and any of the WSMs or SAUMs

The 7/08 is the easiest and require little or no changes to the 243 except the barrel and chamber.

J E CUSTOM

I had a local friend, and professional gunsmith, build me a 1,000 yd .308 tack-driver out of a Remington 7 action. It was the most accurate gun I have ever had. It had an M24 barrel on it, trued-up, Jewel 2-stage trigger, custom HS Precision stock with an aluminum bed-block in it, floated barrel, glass-bedded action, it was insanely accurate. Then some jack-leg broke into my shop back in '08 (through 2 locked and dead-bolted doors...1 was a steel door) and stole it and I haven't seen it since. Makes me sick every time I think about it.

I will build another one someday.....I just have to have an action, and I can't seem to find another model 7, or 700 SA with a jeweled bolt for sale anywhere. Anyone got one they wouldn't mind selling for relatively cheap? Sorry, but money's been kinda tight for the last year or so since the economy plummeted.

Last edited:
I had a local friend, and professional gunsmith, build me a 1,000 yd .308 tack-driver out of a Remington 7 action. It was the most accurate gun I have ever had. It had an M24 barrel on it, trued-up, Jewel 2-stage trigger, custom HS Precision stock with an aluminum bed-block in it, floated barrel, glass-bedded action, it was insanely accurate. Then some jack-leg broke into my shop back in '08 (through 2 locked and dead-bolted doors...1 was a steel door) and stole it and I haven't seen it since. Makes me sick every time I think about it.

I will build another one someday.....I just have to have an action, and I can't seem to find another model 7, or 700 SA with a jeweled bolt for sale anywhere. Anyone got one they wouldn't mind selling for relatively cheap? Sorry, but money's been kinda tight for the last year or so since the economy plummeted.

I don't think I would want to tangle with this person you speak of... Two doors, one metal! I think I would just be bitter about the situation too. I always said, if somebody is brave enough, strong enough, and dumb enough to steal my gun safe, I don't want to meet him!

I'm not exactly what you'd call a small guy either. And it wasn't in a gun safe. It was sitting in a gun case from where I had cleaned out my back seat of my truck in a quick-pinch situation, and so it sat locked in my office, locked in my shop for a few weeks, where I forgot about it and figured it would be safe, since I had never had a break-in out there before. I was wrong. I'm still gonna smash his/their face(s) in if I ever find out. I really want another long-range .308, and my buddy has a Remington 700 5R, but now won't sell it to me even though we shook on a deal back during last summer when I didn't have the cash. Now that I have the cash, I'm not too happy.

Well good luck to ya man. Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't know what I would do if my guns got stolen. Thank god for homeowners insurance! Hope it works out with your buddy so you can get that gun he promised you...

Thanks man. Yeah, i hope i can get that 5R soon.

I have homeowner's too, but they screwed me as bad as the theives. From that day on every gun i own has been locked in my safe except for the one i conceal carry 24/7.

Homeowners' Insurance Gun Coverage

Well good luck to ya man. Sorry to hear about your loss. I don't know what I would do if my guns got stolen. Thank god for homeowners insurance! Hope it works out with your buddy so you can get that gun he promised you...

In most cases homeowners' insurance won't cover much of anything for guns unless you have a special rider with each gun listed. Our H.O. policy has a maximum gun coverage of $1,500, and we have "a bit" more than that.

Re: Homeowners' Insurance Gun Coverage

In most cases homeowners' insurance won't cover much of anything for guns unless you have a special rider with each gun listed. Our H.O. policy has a maximum gun coverage of $1,500, and we have "a bit" more than that.

You are very correct. My policy covers up to the first $5000 and I have an additional rider for the rest. I think I pay $1.50/ $100 of coverage. Cheap insurance when you think about it...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.