Model 88 Winchester fans?

I am thinking I'll at least get the lugs lapped. I dunno, I guess I'll wait till we get it completely apart before I dive off the deep end. Lugs lapped, bolt face squared, receiver squared....that stuff couldn't hurt. There is no reason NOT to, really, when I think about it.

So I decided to go a different route, for now, with this rifle. But, I'm gonna do SOMETHING with it!

The other day, I was doing some mental gymnastics about it. Got to thinking and chuckling about the 6.5 Needmore, and thought, I know!! I'll build it into a 6.5x308, and call it, the GOTMORE!!
Come to find out, that's already been done...only it's called, the 260 Remington. How droll.
So, maybe a 260 Remington. But I think, I'll be going Ackley Improved.

I bought mine when I was 14 years old…..in .308 Win. With some hand loading efforts I was able to get her to shoot sub (barely) 1", 5 shot groups.

My only complaint with the little rifle was the stock. I was living in Louisiana at the time….the changes in humidity were dramatic on the stock. With a little more warpage …..I could have used it for a recurve bow! memtb

That's funny!
Of the 5 I've owned in the past, two of them split the stock. I'm not sure they were meant to be serious, long string shooters. My dad hand whittled a stock for his, out of Walnut(!!!) and full length bedded it. He also took all the creep out of the trigger, which helped a TON!

That's funny!
Of the 5 I've owned in the past, two of them split the stock. I'm not sure they were meant to be serious, long string shooters. My dad hand whittled a stock for his, out of Walnut(!!!) and full length bedded it. He also took all the creep out of the trigger, which helped a TON!

The stocks leave a bit to desire. And…..the trigger certainly wasn't great. For many years it was my only centerfire rifle. I put a trigger shoe on it, which helped make the trigger feel a bit lighter…..just learned to accept the trigger creep! memtb

Pre-64, in 308...

20181130_151504.jpg

Does anyone know of a credible gunsmith who can work some magic on an 88 action and trigger? Maybe polishing things up to make it smoother/lighter and some bedding? I have a friend with one he just had bored to .338 federal and now he's after some cleanup work. If that's possible with the 88s.

Just ordered a Lilja barrel in.243, 8t, 27in finish length, #4 contour.
Was thinking plain ole vanilla 243 Win, but may opt for AI. Or , maybe open the bolt face up for a ... Some thing else?
I love these lever guns. This one makes my fifth one I've acquired. I have another, that will remain as is till end of time, but this one is to enjoy.
Drawback is, magazine length limited, so I can't stray TOO far from design.
What say you all?
Your gun do what you want. You asked.....you are out of your flippen mind to alter one single thing on it.

Your gun do what you want. You asked.....you are out of your flippen mind to alter one single thing on it.

I don't know about that. Years ago I came up with an 88 .308 barreled action with a rusted up barrel and made it into a 22-250 AI for my dad. He's already got a few 308's, a .243, and a .284. He had an extra 88 stock so all we needed was a barrel to build it back into a gun. It was a pain in the but to get the magazine to work, so if I were to do it again, I would go 22-308 instead.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

The stocks leave a bit to desire. And…..the trigger certainly wasn't great. For many years it was my only centerfire rifle. I put a trigger shoe on it, which helped make the trigger feel a bit lighter…..just learned to accept the trigger creep! memtb
My first center fire rifle also. When I went to college. Mine was very accurate. Stock was short and I ended up with the thumb of my shooting hand right under my nose and would get punched in the nose everytime I shot. Trigger was horrible. However, those two things didn't seem to bother me because it was my first hunting rifle and I didn't know any better. And when I was younger I made some great shots on running whitetails. Then I got my first Ruger M77. And wow what a difference. A stock that fit and a decent trigger. I didn't know how much I had been missing. I let my brother use it and he broke it in half right at the wrist. I found a company that made the stock and ordered one. They sent me a stock with a huge blemish on it. I couldn't believe someone would even something like that out to a customer. The barreled action is just sitting in storage for the past 30 years.