Model 8 in 30 Remington

Skimbleshanks

I am shortly going to own of one of my Grandfathers rifles. I was supposed to get his Vanguard in 30-06. It was his go to rifle the last few years he hunted. I went back to Michigan 10 years ago or so and took my Vanguard in 30-06 not knowing thats what he used. We shared a moment over that. Anyway my one uncle, instead of shipping it to my FFL, traded it in on another kitchy 1911 to sit in a safe. Cest la vie, I still have the memories. My grandfather had hundreds of rifles and shotguns at the height of his collection. My cousin and one ant decided to try and get me one of grandpas rifles. A bunch of 30-40 krags, sporterized mausers, some old damascus barreled shotguns, and what is that to the side. A Model 8. A cool old JMB design. Didn't care what caliber but hoped it was a 35 rem. Things are what they are and it is a 30 Rem. I can source bullets, cool. Brass, ummm, looks like ill be turning the rim off 30-30 brass and cutting an extractor groove on my buddies lathe. Dies are available. I have some old Lyman loading manuals with data and I've read that 30 rem and 30-30 data was interchangeable. So just some work (fun) at the loading bench.

TLDR

So my questions are:
130s 150s or 170s for deer with a 30-30 class cartridge?

Any go to powder(s)for these cartridges? Ive got some reloader 7 and some IMR4320 that needs used up.

Anything weird to watch out for with shooting or loading for the model 8?

Thanks for the help and reading this far. Really looking forward to getting this rifle back shooting and hopefully back to taking game in the woods. Next year if I draw a doe tag, I know just the place where a light quick pointing semi auto would be perfect.

......130s 150s or 170s for deer with a 30-30 class cartridge?........Anything weird to watch out for with shooting or loading for the model 8?........I know just the place where a light quick pointing semi auto would be perfect...........

It's been a few years. Should be a fun project!

I'd use either the 143 lever Hammer, or 152 Shock Hammer. I like the HP in those.
I've seen a couple prone to doubling, can't say if that was common.

Yes. This was back when we could still get .30 and .32 Remington factory ammo so it's been awhile. 40 ish years ago. Fun rifles! Interesting histories.

It was corrected without much trouble, by an old school gunsmith familiar with them.

Brass is available from Huntington in CA.

Use 30-30 data and don't hotrod it.

Find a receiver sight for it. You'll be surprised.

Unless it's collector grade, you can find a scope mount on Ebay although I prefer mounting a scout scope in front of the receiver on the bbl shroud.

There's a rare FN Browning one in 35 Rem on Proxibid now if you have deep pockets.

HAPPY DAY. Stumbled upon this stash quite by accident but knew it was going to be mine. Had to wait a few days but the brown truck of fun rolled up my driveway today.
20201105_151934.jpg

I am shortly going to own of one of my Grandfathers rifles. I was supposed to get his Vanguard in 30-06. It was his go to rifle the last few years he hunted. I went back to Michigan 10 years ago or so and took my Vanguard in 30-06 not knowing thats what he used. We shared a moment over that. Anyway my one uncle, instead of shipping it to my FFL, traded it in on another kitchy 1911 to sit in a safe. Cest la vie, I still have the memories. My grandfather had hundreds of rifles and shotguns at the height of his collection. My cousin and one ant decided to try and get me one of grandpas rifles. A bunch of 30-40 krags, sporterized mausers, some old damascus barreled shotguns, and what is that to the side. A Model 8. A cool old JMB design. Didn't care what caliber but hoped it was a 35 rem. Things are what they are and it is a 30 Rem. I can source bullets, cool. Brass, ummm, looks like ill be turning the rim off 30-30 brass and cutting an extractor groove on my buddies lathe. Dies are available. I have some old Lyman loading manuals with data and I've read that 30 rem and 30-30 data was interchangeable. So just some work (fun) at the loading bench.

TLDR

So my questions are:
130s 150s or 170s for deer with a 30-30 class cartridge?

Any go to powder(s)for these cartridges? Ive got some reloader 7 and some IMR4320 that needs used up.

Anything weird to watch out for with shooting or loading for the model 8?

Thanks for the help and reading this far. Really looking forward to getting this rifle back shooting and hopefully back to taking game in the woods. Next year if I draw a doe tag, I know just the place where a light quick pointing semi auto would be perfect.

With a thread like this one, you are going to get a lot of opinions and recommendations; and.....they're all going to be the best one;)! For the 30-30 I personally like the 150 grain bullets, and there are a lot of them out there to choose from. For powder I like Win748, it meters nice, fills the casing up and will give you good performance, 748 can be used for the 150 and 170 grain bullets also.

As you have no tubular concerns, go with the 110 TTSX. Deadly in the 300 B/O and you can push it faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.