Model 700 Custom KS Mountain Rifle

Seems like it's a bargain, compared to the price of the CDL from the custom shop? All Custom Shop guns are spendy.

Good hunting. LB

That's really not a bad price for that rifle...Remington makes good sticks, in my opinion, and you would be paying lots for a truly custom rifle, meaning one that was built to your personal specs or some such.

Montour County Rifles builds a custom sporter style rifle. With your choice of barrel mfg.( I suggest Broughton) and usually on a Mcmillan stock. Pillar bedded. On a trued Remington 700 action. In your choice of caliber. Buyer must purchase action so it is registered in their name. For $1500.

[email protected]

I'm not sure I understand, this isn't really a custom rifle is it? I mean you have your choice of blued or stainless, but other than that?

I'm really ignorant about this, but what about the Mountain rifle is that much better than say a Sendero?

The regular Mountain rifle is way less than the one from the Custom shop, where they use select barrels and nice wood (or in this case Kevlar?) and put together with a lot more skill and/or talent. At least that's what they say? $800 versus $1500 in stainless.

Good hunting. LB

edit: PS, the Custom shop version weighs less, too.

[ 11-18-2004: Message edited by: LB ]

I purchased a LH KS gun in 300 Win Mag about 16 yrs. ago. I got it for a good price at the time ($550) from a dealer who was overstocked and wanted to liquidate some inventory shortly after hunting season. They retailed for about $825 at that time. The plus features of the gun are its matte finish, light weight Brown Precision Kevlar stock, and the fact that the gun will print approx 1 MOA. I don't think it shoots any better then an off the shelf BDL though. Would I have paid $825 at the time or $1500 now though---no.

If I had lots of money I would buy a LH stainless 280 Rem. KS gun. Then again I'd like to see them make a LH 700 titanium rifle. I'd buy that gun in a heartbeat.

Pat S.

[ 11-21-2004: Message edited by: Pat S. ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I'd like to see them make a LH 700 titanium rifle. I'd buy that gun in a heartbeat.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, me too, not for the left hand, but if they chambered it in a cartridge I wanted. They must have some old lady choosing the calibers?

Good hunting. LB

I am shooting a KS from remington´s custom shop in 7 rm. I have not had any other remingtons to compare, but with proper loads I easily print less than 1 moa 3 shot groups, occasionally 1/2. Longest successful shots (hunting) at 500 yards.

In my opinion it may be a little too light for the caliber, and barrel is thin and heats up quickly so if you want good groups, you´d have to shoot max. 2 shots.

Bolt closes a little tight. I understand due to the theorical "custom" adjustment.

Barrel may be also short if you want to get max. speed from magnum calibers.

here's something i can comment on. I bought a Custom Shop KS moutain rifle in 30-06 about 8 years ago. A friend who had a gun shop brought it back from the IWA (europes shot show), it was the ugly duckling no one wanted (europeans bieng into wood back then) i got it for 900DM, which is about $600. now that was a bargain !!!. The rifle shot well with Hornady 180gr Light Magnum, 3 shot groups int 1/2 inch at 100m. but as the barrel was bedded with forend pressure using the rifle off a bipod was a night mare, the bipod would alter the point of impact, finaly i bought a HS precision thumbhole sporter stock for the rifle. installed a muzzle break and proceeded to shoot the barrel out with about 4500 rounds. Considering it was a custom shop rifle i had several problems with it, first off the rear scope mount holes where drilled off centre, i fixed this by plugging the 6/48 holes and re drilling on centre and tapping 8/40. I replaced the barrel with a custom Heym barrel( and i trued the action, blue printed some people call it) YES IT NEEDED TRUEING !! with the heym barrel and after trueing it shot 5 shots into a 10mm side diameter ragged hole, i shot Roe deer with this set up out as far as 620 meters. I shot that barrel out, or ruined it with rust during a very wet scottish week, since then i have replaced the barrel with a Border Barrels 5R (thanks to JR), i have the barrel in a stainless action at the moment and the custom shop action has a factory stainless barrel. The Border barrels BBL is about to go back on the custom shop gun.
I have had good hunting with this rifle and at the price i paid for it it was a bargain. but i am telling you the custom shop actions are nothing special, they are pulled from the regular production run and are not trued, the may have slightly better barrels fitted by hand, but for what they charge for them i would buy the cheapest ADL you can find and have it worked on by a reputable gun smith, put it in a HS precision stock or one of the McMillan light weight stocks, you will end up with a better rifle than the remington custom shop produces and probably at a better price. email me if you want some photos
Pete

I'll have to back to the website, I don't think they make the ADL for lefties.

I'm about to just settle on a Winchester.

I heard that Tikka will be producing their SS/synthetic T3 (and the T3 light weight version) in left hand, by February of 2005.

This could not be confirmed on the Beretta web site. I sent them an email but have not received a response either way.

I'l take the first LH T3 lite off the production line if they become available.
smile.gif

[ 11-25-2004: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]

Greenhorn,

Beretta is currently the importer or parent company for Tikka/Sako. Something relatively new.

I know all the guys rave about the out-of-the-box accuracy of Savage rifles but the Tikkas are much nicer in many ways. Tikka barrels are made in the Sako barrel manufacturing plant and are made to the same standards, the Tikka bolts are very smooth, the triggers are owner adjustable. Esthetically, they are much nicer IMO.

I have been able to get .5moa (5 shot) groups @ 200yds but it is not consistent. With quality handloads, my 7mm-08 Tikka will print Nosler B-Tips, Hornady A-Maxs or Barnes TSX bullets in .75moa @ 200yds with regularity. My rifle wears a 3x9 Kahles scope.

Some hunters would refer to this level of accuracy as "better than minute of whitetail". I'll let you know Monday when I go hunting.
grin.gif

VH

Tikka web page

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.