model 70 torque specs..

kaseyfied

wondering what to set the action screws at.. im guessing 35lbs on all 3 but I do not want to guess really.. any help would be great their are 2 screws in rear with the trigger gaurd and 1 screw just above floorplate.. it also hooks into the action not just a barrel screw thanks in advance

kasey

Hi Kasey,

I use 40lbs for front & rear action screws. Torque down front screw 1st then do rear trigger screw. The middle screw should only be snug down by hand!
If you over tighten the middle screw you will warp the action which will be noticeable by a tight fit to the bolt.

Good luck. .... Gusto

Do a search on Torque specifications and it will answer all of your questions.

By the way, Torque is in Inch Pounds. Don't use ft/lbs. And screw the center screw
down only hand tight with Lock Tight on it to avoid flexing the action.

J E CUSTOM

Yeah i have the wheelen torque setup which does inch pounds.. going to try my luck.in stock and piller bedding.. should be fun!!

Back in the 1960's, a couple top competitors tested their Win. 70's match rifles in machine rests with different torque settings on the three screws. Best accuracy was when the front and back screws were torqued to 60 inch pounds and the middle one to 45 to 50 inch pounds. This was for epoxy bedded receivers with no metal pillars around the screws; just plastic steel. Receivers in bare wood bedding needed about 10 inch pounds less for all three screws.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.