Model 70 safety problem

It was worn out. Even clean it broke from 4.5 Lbs down to 2.3 Lbs. When that started, groups opened up badly. Looking back tonight, I wish I would have got another Winchester trigger.

Wow, what condition is the barrel in? I have two 70's that; one is on it's 2nd and one that is on it's 3rd barrel and still have the factory trigger assemblies.

Wow, what condition is the barrel in? I have two 70's that; one is on it's 2nd and one that is on it's 3rd barrel and still have the factory trigger assemblies.
Barrel was replaced about 10 years ago. The old barrel was shot out. As I said before, this was a pawnshop rifle 23 years ago. I bought it for my kids to hunt with. It served well for many years, but it was not cherry when I got it. When the trigger pull started jumping from 4.5 down to 2.5 pounds and everywhere in between it seemed like a good idea to replace it. And yes it was cleaned very well before that desision.

Highdesertmike , Winchester and Remington triggers are two completely different animals . The older Winchester triggers are more like a Ruger trigger or a Mauser trigger . The safety doesn't push forward as the Remington does it pivots and has a notched portion the lines up to let the trigger be pulled past a block that turns when you move the safety .

I am a Model 70 fan, but it took some persuasion. My dad bought a new Model 70 .264 Win mag in 1962. I didn't shoot it until a few years later. When we sighted it in (less then 40 shots in its history), I was shocked by the big changes in the trigger pull from shot to shot. Something had to be wrong, so off to the gunsmith we went. He showed us the B&F wobble in the trigger, and he tested the trigger pull: 3.8# to 6.8#!! The smith did some work and reduced the inconsistent weight swing down to a 3.8# to 4.5#?? We still didn't trust it, and I bought a Remington 700 BDL 7 mag In 1975. The trigger was steady, and it shot great. I eventually put in a Timney 700 trigger, had the action bedded and the muzzle crowned to get .5MOA.
Factory triggers are factory triggers and Shortgrass said it well - factory triggers will never equal the tune of a good aftermarket trigger. I now have three rifles with TriggerTech Special triggers, and they are WOW triggers. TriggerTech does not make a trigger for Winchesters. I will try a Rifle Basix trigger (Thank you GreyFox) on my newer Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 270wsm. Earlier I switched out my Model 70 Coyote 22-250 spring with an M-Carbo and the trigger pull decreased a lot. Great discussion :)

I am a Model 70 fan, but it took some persuasion. My dad bought a new Model 70 .264 Win mag in 1962. I didn't shoot it until a few years later. When we sighted it in (less then 40 shots in its history), I was shocked by the big changes in the trigger pull from shot to shot. Something had to be wrong, so off to the gunsmith we went. He showed us the B&F wobble in the trigger, and he tested the trigger pull: 3.8# to 6.8#!! The smith did some work and reduced the inconsistent weight swing down to a 3.8# to 4.5#?? We still didn't trust it, and I bought a Remington 700 BDL 7 mag In 1975. The trigger was steady, and it shot great. I eventually put in a Timney 700 trigger, had the action bedded and the muzzle crowned to get .5MOA.
Factory triggers are factory triggers and Shortgrass said it well - factory triggers will never equal the tune of a good aftermarket trigger. I now have three rifles with TriggerTech Special triggers, and they are WOW triggers. TriggerTech does not make a trigger for Winchesters. I will try a Rifle Basix trigger (Thank you GreyFox) on my newer Model 70 Extreme Weather SS 270wsm. Earlier I switched out my Model 70 Coyote 22-250 spring with an M-Carbo and the trigger pull decreased a lot. Great discussion :)
Trigger tech was what I was looking for first. They make them for my Remingtons, but not my Winchesters.

Ol' Red, have you looked into Rifle Basix? Mentioned above by Greyfox. https://riflebasix.com/product-category/winchester/
100% drop in and uses existing Win safety 😊
I have not----yet. I am a little frustrated with this Timney. When I installed it I was happy. Three pound trigger pull 10 times in a row. Then when the I tried to engage the safety things went sideways. This is my first thread, I usually log in to read and learn. Maybe I'll post a thread before I spend cash the next time.

Ol ' Red , leave the action out of the stock and watch your old trigger work then put your new trigger on your action and watch it so you can see what the difference in them is . I did a rifle basix trigger back several years and there was some fitting to do to get the safety to work with it not much and not hard to do with the instructions that were sent with it . I didn't have to do any thing to the bolt or any of the existing model 70 parts jus the trigger . That way your only out the price of your trigger if things go south for you .

I have not----yet. I am a little frustrated with this Timney. When I installed it I was happy. Three pound trigger pull 10 times in a row. Then when the I tried to engage the safety things went sideways. This is my first thread, I usually log in to read and learn. Maybe I'll post a thread before I spend cash the next time.
Red, having to adjust the safety is not the norm. I'd guess maybe 1 out of 9 or 10 on a Winchester 70 the safety needs worked on. You just happen to have that 1 !!

OK I just looked at Rifle Basix trigger. The original sear is in good shape on my rifle, the trigger is worn to angle where it contacted the sear. That would work good if I can my money back from Timney. Thank you, Red.
Red, Timney has a lifetime warranty to repair or replace, but even though refunds are not included, it never hurts to ask. If you haven't modified the Timney trigger, you can try selling it. Rick

Last edited:
I just installed a Timney trigger on my post 64 Winchester model 70. Now the safety is stuck in fire position. The last thing mentioned in the instruction sheet is " may have to adjust the safety". I could use some advice from some who has been here.
Your safety cam is out of time now. Any decent smith close by can get it back in time.

Ol' Red, I know that you have been given some good advise but I would like to add a point or two. First as stated earlier I own 6 Model 70's and I have replaced the factory triggers on three of them with Timney triggers. The first two were early 2000 models bought in 2001-2003. On both I had to remove some metal from cocking piece sear.. I have the instructions with me and they say this "Due to the varations in the Model 70 actions. there may be difficulty in getting the safety to operate properly. If the safety will operate apply the safety, pull triggger and release safety if the firing pin fails remove a small amount of metal from the cocking piece sear at point #5/ Repeat until the sear is lifted off the trigger when the safety is applied"
You probably need to talk with Timney about what you need to do. I just wanted to add that I tried to install a Rifle Basic trigger on my pre64 and I never could get it to work properly. It may have been me since I am not a gunsmith.However I did install a Timney on that gun. It took some work but it works great with a 3lb pull.

What I have said could be added to what Frog4aday said.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.