model 70 push feed extraction problem

West Calamus

Bought a 300 wm mod 70 XTR push feed (1986 year) used and put a 26 in shilen barrel on it with my gunsmith cutting the chamber. Problem is sometimes it extracts the case and and more often then not it doesn't. Cycle speed seems to make no difference. I have taken apart and cleaned the plunger, spring and extractor and plunger hole plus polished the extractor to no avail. Can order parts from Jack First in Rapid. Am I on the right track or should I be looking at something else causing the problem'? I have had mod 70 push feeds in the past and never had this problem.

I would take it back to the gunsmith. Have him check the headspace.
The bolt will pull a spent case about half way out before it let's loose of the spent brass. Fully loaded rounds with bullet still in will fully extract out of ejection port. If it was a headspaceing problem would not other problems show up and if so what would they be? Anyway I will order new manufactured extractor next week and go from there.

If it extracts case part way, Then lets go of the case. It would not be in the headspace. Keeping the extractor from getting a go hold on the case. The extractor would be first thing on list.

Got the new extractor, plunger and plunger spring from Jack First today and installed in bolt. Frist couple of tries on bolt closing had to be forced a little then worked flawlessly after that. Thx y'all for the responses and would definitely use Jack First manufactured parts again based on the above outcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.