Model 70 gunsmith

wm5l

I am looking for a Model 70 control round feed "smith". I have yet to find a gunsmith that likes and enjoys building on those actions. I have a Montanna 1999 that is a M70 clone and want it re-barreled to a different caliber and cartridge. Any suggestions?

Mark Penrod comes to mind.

I have owned a few M70 barreled by Hart Rifle Barrels and Pac Nor as well.

For a in-state TX, Charlie Sisk but I don't know if he is still working in that capacity.

I have a newer win model 70 that I'm pretty sure this guy built in 6.5 prc (got the gun from a friend). It's bedded and has a proof barrel on it, shoots amazing and feeds great

Montana 1999 actions do not require a extractor cut like a Winchester barrel does. They are a simple thread and headspace. No timing of the extractor cut.
So any gun smith can easily rebarrel them.

Montana 1999 actions do not require a extractor cut like a Winchester barrel does. They are a simple thread and headspace. No timing of the extractor cut.
So any gun smith can easily rebarrel them.
I'm not gonna argue with you and I'm not a gunsmith but I believe you're mistaken because mine has that Mauser extractor on the side exactly like a model 70 it's a model 70 clone and I've talked to a few people and they all said that it does need the extractor slot cut but I have been wrong before

Not arguing. I have 3 Model 1999s and Winchester Model 70s as well. I can assure you that they are a unique design and have eliminated that troublesome design. The extractor cut is built into the action and so the barrel does not have to have it. I have pics that are on my phone that I will post to this tread a little latter.

Here is a picture with the bolt installed and one without. The extractor is flush with the recess in the action. Thus no extractor cut in the barrel needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_175525840.jpg
    IMG_20180625_175525840.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180625_175615772_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180625_175615772_HDR.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited: