Model 70 cone breech?

G

Given the fact that I'm here, you're there, and your Gunsmith has discussed this with you, I don't think I'd push it one inch... Find something a little more tolerant of muscle. Just my opinion..... Good Shootin!

My 'smith is telling me that the cone breech on the pre-'64 Winchester is a potential weak point for "hot-rod" cartridges; he says that I'm flirting with case-head seperation if I try to jack the 6.5 WSM that I'm building.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not really a hot-rodder to begin with, but I'm wondering how careful I might have to be when I'm working up a load; I'd hate to blow up a brand-new rifle, not to mention all that bad stuff that might happen to me when I'm holding the thing.

I've always been of the opinion that Ruger #1's and Freedom Arms revolvers are the best test-beds to try and push envelopes; if you can blow up either one of those you're REALLY out there somewhere.

I just hadn't ever thought much about the 70 and the coned breech; obviously it can't be TOO terribly bad, or Model 70's would be blowing up all over the place, but I thought maybe someone would know a little more about it than I do.

The only way you would get case head separation is if he cut the cone too deep or you have an excess headspace situation. The Win will handle the WSM just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.