Model 7 6.5x284?

30noslercam

Hey all, after finishing my 30 nosler it's time for my next project. I just got hold of a model 7 in 260, it seems to shoot well but I want to scratch the 284 itch. I know the magazine well is short but will it work? I would love to shoot the 140s at a fair speed. Also have a manners stock coming. Topped off with a zeiss hd5 it should be a good all rounder.

As a single shot or a ton of bullet stuffed in the case it will.
Not even sure it will work the ejection port is smaller on a 7 vrs a 700 also I believe, its definitely not an ideal situation.

Last edited:
As a single shot or a ton of bullet stuffed in the case it will.
Not even sure it will work the ejection port is smaller on a 7 vrs a 700 also I believe, its definitely not an ideal situation.
I agree will give you trouble if anything but a single shot. With 140's they will be long, you'd have to run way down in case to attempt to feed.

It will work as long as you keep your ammo length at 284 Win SAAMI specs. If you hand load your choice of bullets is going to be limited because you need to use bullets that have a nose length of about .600" or shorter.

As for the ejection port length referenced earlier, a Model 7 has a longer ejection port than a Model 700 short action.

Last edited:
I've got a friend who has a 6.5x284 that's on a 700SA with a wyatt 3" box that wanted to shoot the 140 Berger, it shot them well as long as they were seated out past the 3" box but when seated deeper they wouldn't shoot as well so after alot of screwing around went to the 130's and found a mag box length and accuracy combo.

I don't have one yet say can't say,but I think the 260 ai and 6.5/284 are extremely close in numbers. I would go with 260 ai and possibly save a lot of headaches. Ream it out and your done. Of course the 6.5sst would be awesome!

Rich (Elkeater) can answer all the sst questions better than me. If you have the extra coin then I would do a Sherman. If on a budget then the 260 ai should give you about the same performance as the 6.5/284 and still be able to mag feed. I don't personally own either of these yet,so there are others here that can answer with first hand experience. I have done a lot of research and reading. Getting ready to put something similar together if those dang bills would quit getting in the way!

Oops! Elkaholic---- not elkeater. Pm'd with him a good bit. Seems like a great guy. Still want at least one of his before long. But which one!

I shoot a Barnard "S" (short action) in 6.5-284, but it's a single shot . It ejects spent cases fine. It (the 284) was designed for a short action. Its the long bullets that won't eject if you need to empty the rifle. If you need to load your bullets longer than 2.85", then they won't fit in the magazine. Cramming them into the case body means you might as well shoot a 260AI.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts