mod 70 trigger

madcharlie61

ok so i have an older mod70 push feed model the one with the 2 pice triger. thats the best way to explain it.

am having an odd problem if it is in the `half cock` position and the trigger is pulled then released then the bolt is closed the bolt uncocks. i can kinda remedy this by having a heavy trigger pull weight but i dont want that, any ideas on what could be wrong???

ok so i have an older mod70 push feed model the one with the 2 pice triger. thats the best way to explain it.

am having an odd problem if it is in the `half cock` position and the trigger is pulled then released then the bolt is closed the bolt uncocks. i can kinda remedy this by having a heavy trigger pull weight but i dont want that, any ideas on what could be wrong???

There are basically three adjustments on this trigger. Weight, sear engagement, and overtavel. All controlled by the single screw/ nuts. The problem you have is likely that the trigger is set too light for the spring to maintain tension on the sear engagement. There is a limit to the weight that can be set with the stock spring that will allow proper sear engagement. I don't know if that is your problem, but you need to make sure that when the weight was adjusted on the trigger, that overtravel and sear engagement was checked and adjusted to properly function. This can change when the screws are adjusted for weight.. Most of my stock Model 70 triggers can not
be adjusted to less than 2.5-3.5# and still have reliable functioning of the bolt. It can be tricky to properly adjust this trigger, you may want to have a smith look at it.

You are stuck with a 'heavy' trigger pull. You don't have enough spring tension now, to return the trigger to engage the sear. Increase that spring tension, otherwise you have a dangerous condition. Want a lighter trigger pull? Buy an aftermarket trigger.

ok so i had another go at this today and have put more tention on the frount spring buy petting in a small packer this has pushed the sear back and the trigger is ingaging properly going to do a bit more testing on the bench to make 100% sure it safe but i think it will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.