Votes: 133 65.2%
  • MIL

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • Use both equally well

Votes: 18 8.8%

• Total voters

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
So I did a search and the most recent I found was 2012 for a poll on this. It was about 80% moa in favor over mils. Seems like many of the top scopes are more common in mils or there is certainly more options in mils.

So I figured I would start a new poll on the old subject.

I am used to MOA.... I don't like change... I remember back in the 2nd or 3rd grade or something like that the schools were going to teach and get us all using the metric system... That seemed to last about 6 months and then they just seemed to give up on it....Dave

I have scopes with both, but find myself preferring MOA. The one area where mils becomes important is on PRS matches. The vast majority of shooters there use mils, so when making sight adjustment calls, they speak in terms of mils over MOA. It's easier to run mils there, so that everyone is on the same page. Outside of those matches, though, it is simply a matter of what you are used to and comfortable using.

I learned in moa. Every time we get a customer rifle with a mil scope I am lost without a ballistic app and a good mill reticle. Can't see how much to adjust the scope as far as how many clicks. Frustrating. I admire folks that can shoot both systems.

MOA here. I've never even researched exactly how MIL works. I'm sure I could figure it out, but, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Mils are easy to use. If you think MOA when useing mils. My brother has mill. For me I just remeber for sighting in 1/10 of a mill is .344 MOA Now for dialing a scope just use a app and it will tell you how many mill.

With that said. I still prefer MOA over mill. I also do building for a living as well as run cattle. And we use inches feet and yards... So thats what makes the most sense. Even the folks North of the border build useing the good old tape measure that reads in inches and feet.

It's just a unit of measure. To get use to mils don't think in inches, just think mils. It's super simple. It's normally sets of ten as well. My buddy says dial two mils, I just move my turret to the 2 mark on my turret. It's an angular measurement just like MOA. I was raised on MOA but after going mil I can never go back.

Mils here. A Scope with 10 mils per rotation takes you out a long way. Smaller numbers to remember too. Usually a mil reticle is less busy.

That said, I with the scope industry would flip a coin and standardize everything. I'd be ok with converting to the metric system. One day they'll look back on the imperial system as one of "those things" like leaching and blood letting. I know that with wrenches, a 4 is bigger than a 3.