MOA vs. inches question

Beluebow

I went to www.eskimo.com to rough figure a drop chart for my .300win shooting 2950fps with 180 accubonds.At 500yards it said I needed 47 come up clicks or 9 moa???Now i'm not real smart on this stuff (why I've been "studying" here for the last 4 months or so)but wouldnt 9moa be 36 clicks??Thanks for the help.
confused.gif

There is a difference between MOA/MIL RAD's and inches of drop. Inches of Drop is Not an Angular measurement whereas MOA or MIL's is.

quarter moa clicks at 9 moa would be 36 clicks. Unless they are using a different value I'd say you are correct.

Though scopes may say quarter and be thirds or fifths......

Jeff

Beluebow,

What range are you zeroed at?

If your scope has 1/4 MOA clicks. That you need to verify. 36/4=9 MOA*5(hundreds of yrds)~45" I haven't seen a scope that had 47 clicks=9MOA That would mean that your scope has click values of ~3/16 MOA

Hope this helps.

Beluebow,

I have a recommendation for you. I believe that you will save yourself a lot of confusion if you disreguard everything but MOA readings. Start learning to read everything in MOA. I teach long range hunting classes and I see the same things over and over with newer students. They lose count of clicks above about 30 or so, they write down inches of drop and try to convert to MOA in their head and they read to many sniper books ( I read many also and there is alot of good info in them ) and apply everything in them to LR hunting. "I want to use the counting of clicks because I can hear them if I can't read the numbers in low light". The planet that I come from we don't get in much night hunting.
Your scope is caliberated in MOA, learn to dial to the moa number on the scope and + a few clicks to make up the fraction of an MOA. You will find this to be much faster in the field, user friendly and less prone to mistakes.

Shawn

ShawnC.,I would love to be able to read everything in MOA, but after this drop chart thingy I'm really confused.Here's what I got,Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20 with target knobs and side focus,,,,On my elevation it is number 0-16 with 1/4 marks inbetween each number.Now if I click up 47 clicks I'm one mark shot of 12 on the knob,,,,,I i dail what I believe 9moa is it would on the number 9 on the knob
confused.gif
This puts me at two differant places on my adjustment knob,,which is correct?
Gentleman thanks for all the quick response and putting up with my raw arse rookie questions.

I don't think that 47 clicks is correct. Use the MOA value as previously stated. If your dial on your scope is 0 when you are zeroed at your desired range, and the chart says come up 9 MOA, dial your scope up to 9. I use MOA charts and they are easier and quicker. Don't worry about how many inches of drop etc... you have if you have your come ups in MOA. My 2.

Beluebow,

If your drop chart does not read in moa I will email one to you. Ultimately you will have to go to the range to confirm the drops by shooting at those given distances. The only thing you need to worry about initially is what setting you need to hit at a certain distance. The caliberations on your Zeiss are 1/4 MOA. Take your drop chart in MOA and your rifle to the range.Zero at your given zero distance used on your chart(100 yards for example). Now that you have done that, set a target at 300 if you can. Dial in the MOA adjustment on drop sheet for 300 yards and shoot. If your chart says that you needed 3.00 MOA up at 300 yards and you needed 3.50 MOA up to be on target make note of this. Now repeat the process at 500 yards and any other distance you want to be able to shoot at. If your chart is off you may need to make a whole new one with the correct info you got from the range shooting. The drop chart is just a guide, you have to shoot the distances. The numbers you got from the program clicks/moa/inches obviously don't mesh together. Go by the MOA and test it out. Any number of things can be out of wack between your rifle system and your chart. I once had a scope that was a standard 1/4 moa knob scope and it turned out that the clicks would actually move the point of impact about .35 MOA and made the rifle seem to shoot very flat. Hope that helps.

Shawn

Beluebow

You've been given some good data here....but since you're new...it's somewhat "kornfusing" I'd say! So...as they say in the US Army...."Let's do it by the numbers!"

I don't work with Zeiss scopes much; if it were a Leupold with target knobs...it would be more simple probably. So here's what I do:

I have a Leupold 3.5x14x50MM w/target knobs and each click is worth 1/4 MOA. I zero ALL MY RIFLES at 200 yds. This is my FOUNDATION ZERO! The tgt knobs have 3 Allen screws which can be loosened so as to be able to rotate the "barrel" and once I'm zeroed at 200 I loosen the 3 Allen screws and move the barrel (which is scribed with numbers and index marks in MOA and those inbetween are movements of 1/4 MOA) to "0". I then go to each yard line and zero and I write down the zeros for each yardline. You must have a FOUNDATION ZERO first off which to work from! With your 300 Win Mag shooting the Accubonds of 180 grs. you should need somewhere in the neighborhood of and additional 8 clicks or 2 MOA movement to be on at 300 yds. Basically...what I do, if I estimate the distance to a whitetail to be 300 yds. I just put the horizontal wire at or near the top of the back and I'll have a dead buck as that bullet will drop somewhere between 5-7" at 300 yds.

Drop charts are fine....but "THEY AIN'T UTOPHIA" because of varying degrees of barrel harmonics involved. One barrel may exit the bullet on a down node and another the up node of vibration. So it's highly necessary to shoot a rifle and then record your ACTUAL CHANGES/ZEROS for it. Ballistic charts ARE NOT FINITE...in my opinion!

Wish you luck....and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

1.0472" is one MOA

I use the same turrent on my Conquest 4.5x14

Use 1.0472 x MOA = adjustment per scope

I zero mine at 100 yards then use the turrents to adjust for range.

I start with a good ballistic program like Hornady that uses MOA then I covert the data to match the Scopes 1/4" dial.

I don't get that website to bring anything up? Is it something other than Eskimo.com?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.