MOA reticles, anyone use them?

loaders_loft

I have the NP-R2 and like it. For tactical match shooting i would probably go for the NP-R1, but for hunting I like the NP-R2.

I like MOA vs Mil, because that's the way I think. Others like the Mil system. One advantage to the MOA systen is very easy adjustment at the target range if your targets are based on inch or half inch references.

Mark

When a Mil reticle is used for range finding it does simplify the calculations a little as the width 1 mil subtends is exactly 1/1000 of the distance to the target. Thats the only reason Mils are used. When a laser range finder is used the only benefit of either system is what a person is comfortable using. In either case for precise shooting you need fractional markings or adjustments. 1/4 MOA adjustments are comfortable. 1/10 Mil adjustments are comfortable. Maybe half that for benchrest shooting.

All reticle systems are a trade off of speed and adaptability A simple "target dot" reticle with target knobs is very adaptable, but it is slow requiring turning knobs and counting clicks. A custom reticle calibrated for drop and windage is very fast, and requires no knob twiddling, but it can only match one bullet at one velocity at one elevation angle in one atmospheric density. You also have to interpolate between the markings which is an additional source of error. Other reticles lie somewhere in between for speed and precision.

In the future high resolution LCD displays may replace a fixed reticle. They could automatically be generated based on range finder, inclinometer, and atmospheric measurements. Until then whatever reticle you pick will be a compromise and will require computations, either mental, lookup table, or calculator.

One additional choice is to make only "point blank" shots relying on a flat trajectory. Wind has to be light too but it can work to over 300 yards with the right selection of cartridge and bullet.

Last edited:
One advantage to the MOA systen is very easy adjustment at the target range if your targets are based on inch or half inch references.
While I understand what you're saying with the 1" targets, the target really is irrelevant if your knobs match your reticle. It's really not an advantage for either MIL or MOA systems. Measure the difference between POA and POI with your reticle and turn the knobs accordingly. The target could be polka dots and you could still get an angular measurement and correct your POA.

I have and use both the NP-R1 and teh NP-R2 reticles. I like them both but prefer the closer windage stadia line distances for the R1. My brain no longer thinks in mils, and MOA is pretty intuitive, at least for me, when it comes to ranging object and guestimating distances.

JeffVN

1 to add is Holland's ART Reticle in the 3.5-15 NF NXS FFP.

Not a great pic, but it gives you a good idea.
Having the MOA actually listed internally makes a MOA reticle jus that much faster and less confusing.

IMG_2973.jpg

I have the NP-R1 in a few 3.5x15's and a 5.5x22 and the NP-R2 in the 2.5-10 compact.

I like them and for ranging as I find the math much more simple.........and I'm simple so that helps.

While I understand what you're saying with the 1" targets, the target really is irrelevant if your knobs match your reticle. It's really not an advantage for either MIL or MOA systems. Measure the difference between POA and POI with your reticle and turn the knobs accordingly. The target could be polka dots and you could still get an angular measurement and correct your POA.

And I know what you're sayiing too.... but... it's real convenient to look at a 1" gird target @ 400 yds and instantly know 3.6 right and 5.2 low (give or take a tenth) and go... click, click, click, click and click, click, click, click click..

There are advantages to both systems, I just like MOA, and am in agreemant to match the reticle with the turret.

Okey, i will admit im stupid. i currently have 3 lupys 4.5-14 1 in varm. 2 in b&c i find very easy. Am considering a nf maybe soon in 5.5 -22. I already have a leica 1200 randefinder and happy using it. What would be the best reticle for me say elk and deer hunting NRP-1 or the 2 and why. Thanks,
mike

Okey, i will admit im stupid. i currently have 3 lupys 4.5-14 1 in varm. 2 in b&c i find very easy. Am considering a nf maybe soon in 5.5 -22. I already have a leica 1200 randefinder and happy using it. What would be the best reticle for me say elk and deer hunting NRP-1 or the 2 and why. Thanks,
mike

There are a few threads on this. Do a search on NPR1 and/or NPR2 and you'll find some.

I like the NPR2 because it's not as busy as the NPR1.

Mark

I like the NPR2 that I use for Elk hunting.
Its pretty easy to count by two!
Also depending on your bullet the NPR2 has some great hold points.

Cam

I have been saving to buy a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 with the NPR1 reticle.

One reason I like this scope/reticle is when spotting you are able to give MOA correctioins very quickly to the shooter who can then adjust with clicks, adjust the lead or hold over (and some time hold under) as needed.

I think it speeds up the process and is simpler for me than other methods.

I have the NP-R1 and love it. I carry a Range card in my pocket, one which I first printed from ballistics software and then went to the range and confirmed and adjusted for actual results. If I have the time I dial up or if I am in a hurry I count up the dashes.

I have a quick question. All my scopes have fixed reticles. I can zoom in, but the reticles stay the same. I've been reading about the NP-R2 and it says the reticles change with the magnification. For some reason, I can't get me head around how it works. Is the simple answer: The reticle changes in size to maintain each line as 1 or 2MOA, no matter the distance?

Also, does NP-R1 do the same thing?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.