MOA or not to MOA, that is the question.

10FCP

Members: I just bought a Savage 10FCP, Accustock, Accutrigger in .308. This is my first venture into LRH/shooting, and I have always used iron sights/micrometers/red dots on my rifles in the past. I ordered a Burris LaserScope, with the Ballistic Plex reticle and intend to ATTEMPT to find a nice solution using the built in hash marks at 200/300/400/500 for sighting in. My plan is to expect that the laser function will eventually break, so I will still have a usable scope if battery fails, circuitry breaks. Enough background. Question is: given a 50MOA internal adjustment in this scope [per specs], what is advantage/disadvantage/recommendation for flat vs.15MOA vs 20MOA scope mount? Alum vs steel? My goal is to be able to shoot out to 800 yards. Many thanks. Assume normal ballistics using NATO surplus ammo, I can calculate that myself I hope. Love the Hornady Superformance too.

Last edited:
Members: I just bought a Savage 10FCP, Accustock, Accutrigger in .308. This is my first venture into LRH/shooting, and I have always used iron sights/micrometers/red dots on my rifles in the past. I ordered a Burris LaserScope, with the Ballistic Plex reticle and intend to ATTEMPT to find a nice solution using the built in hash marks at 200/300/400/500 for sighting in. My plan is to expect that the laser function will eventually break, so I will still have a usable scope if battery fails, circuitry breaks. Enough background. Question is: given a 50MOA internal adjustment in this scope [per specs], what is advantage/disadvantage/recommendation for flat vs.15MOA vs 20MOA scope mount? Alum vs steel? My goal is to be able to shoot out to 800 yards. Many thanks. Assume normal ballistics using NATO surplus ammo, I can calculate that myself I hope. Love the Hornady Superformance too.
depends on how far you want to adjust out. one thing a 20 moa scope mount can help with is to stay away from the extreme ends of the adjustment in your scope. at the extreme ends things gray, tend to change alittle and can break

50 moa of adjustment although as you mentioned spec, in reality it may wind up being less. A 20 moa couldn't hurt, I prefer SS although many use aluminum.

When you say 50 inches of internal adjustment, I'm assuming that is total adjustment. If you mount this scope level, you will only have 25 MOA of vertical/up travel. If that is the case, I would suggest a 20 MOA base minimum.

If you mount this on a 20 MOA, you will have 45 MOA of vertical/up adjustment. One of my favorite targets for my 308 is at 925 yds. I need 30.25 MOA with my load for this. The 20 MOA will help keep you closer to the center of your adjustment range.

ALuminum Alloy will work just fine with this setup. I prefer it for a little saving on weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.